cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting email from Samsung Galaxy s2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I allowed the inbox of my gmail a/c to build up to 1000+ msg on my mobile. This swamped my mobile's msg folder. I tried deleting them but more kept pouring in. It was also blocking txt msgs from being received. I wasn't getting anywhere, so I uninstalled gmail, but it left my message store full to the brim. 

I deleted all my old msgs on my laptop and tried the refresh buutton on my mobile, but eventually gmail simply ceased to load. It felt as if both the program and the messages were allocated to the same finite block of memory.

I am now unable to reinstall gmail because I keep getting the "insufficient memory" warning. What is really annoying is that for some time my mobile has been saying that the memory was getting low, but without saying where or what I was supposed to do about it. When I repeatedly checked both the card and phone memories, they both had sufficient memories. I had no indication from the phone or within gmail that is was exhausting my memory.

I feels as if gmail has behaved almost parasitically, using every available bit of memory until the gmail program itself became unusable. Gmail didn't seem to leave itself any safety margin. This is not a great design!

How can I clear my phone's memory and get going again please?

Many thanks   Chris Moyler

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Boot into recovery mode and choose the option to "clear cache".
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank-you. I eventually found instructions on how to clear the cache, and did it. Gmail will still not install due to lack of memory.

Internal storage currently listed as 1.97Gb total of which 284Mb is used by apps. What the rest of the memory is up to, I have no idea. Only 122Mb is currently listed as being available.

Any more thoughts please?  Many thanks  Chris Moyler

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You'll have to do a factory reset, again, from recovery mode, but backup first as it will wipe the phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4