cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung galaxy s2 not charging properly

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can i fix mtp initialization and media scan going off all the time on my galaxy s 2? I have a samsung galaxy s 2 mobile phone and for the last couple of weeks now it keeps going off with a message across the top of the phone saying MTP initialization and media scan running when i put it into charge, it's not the charger because i've bought a new one & it goes on & off charge when i put it into charge? thanks

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
If it's faulty (which it sounds like it is) O2 or Samsung have to fix it for you. Don't be fobbed off with excuses about updating, just demand that the phone is looked at.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
It is because the phone thinks it is been connected to a computer. Maybe because your charging port is dirty or damaged. Try cleaning it carefully with an old toothbrush to see if there is any pocket fluff in there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I briefly had a Samsung smart-phone and I believe they recognise a "data cable" because two of the pins in the cable's plug are shorted together.  (In fact, people were complaining that the standard Samsung "data cables" wouldn't charge the phone when connected to a pc and a common "hack" was to remove a tiny blob of solder inside the plug to get around that).

I'm wondering if you bought a bog-standard USB charger that isn't really designed for a Samsung phone?

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the chargers etc i got with the phone that i've been using. everytime i charge my phone it comes up mtp instilation & hen i'm charging the phone the charge goes on & off. I phoned 02 & they said i wouldn't be able to get it fixed until i've updated my phone which i can't do 'cos i use the media usb that doesn't really work 'cos there's something wrong with the charge bit on my phone

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
If it's faulty (which it sounds like it is) O2 or Samsung have to fix it for you. Don't be fobbed off with excuses about updating, just demand that the phone is looked at.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, will go into the 02 shop on friday. Does anyone know if my phone isn't insured if i need to pay for my phone to get sent away to get fixed? Thanks

Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
2 Year warranty on Samsung phones so you will be fine.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most phone companies suggest you do a software update as this can fix most issues and saves you sending your phone off for repair, obviously its not a guaranteed fix and it may be a hardware issue. As long as you are within your contract minimum term your phone will be covered for warranty issues.
Message 9 of 9