Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send a message

Headbanger
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi purchased a Xiaomi Redmi note 9 Pro phone. I was on O2 PAYG so I purchased a pay monthly SIM only deal.

Wanted to keep my PAYG number and everything went fine. Setup new phone and I am unable to send messages via app or using Google assistant keep getting 'message not sent phone number formatted incorrectly'.

Searched online for help and tried various different solutions - when I setup a new phone I normally lock it down and I am careful about what I allow apps access too, but I tried allowing everything. I also edited a couple of my contacts numbers by changing number format. Made sure the phone was using the correct message centre number, to double check this out SIM card in another phone using +447802000332. Tried SIM card in another phone and it is working fine. I have another service providers SIM in the phone at the moment and it's working fine.

Any help would be much appreciated because it is driving me crazy.

Thanks
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The old phone that I am using it in at the moment is working fine. But I noticed the APN settings are setup to PAYG. So I will put it back in Xiaomi later today and check these settings. What do you think?
Message 11 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Headbanger 

apn is for data only and should not effect texting.

The message centre number is applied from the sim, so if sim is correct for account type, the number should be correct.

Try Settings > apps > messages > storage > clear data

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Tried it in Xiaomi last night same error.
Message 13 of 19

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Headbanger 

It's looking like a phone issue then I guess.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Today I am going to reset it to factory settings and try again from scratch, need to wait until I have got plenty time. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. As I say the SIM is working 100% in an old phone and the Xiaomi is working 100% with another network. The joys of technology.
Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

It's a strange one @Headbanger 

Let us know how you get on.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Have an update this morning, was able to send text message to multiple numbers last night no problem. This morning was also able to send, all these messages were typed and sent in app.

Tried to use Google Assistant to send a message using my voice and it wouldn't send, message not sent phone number formatted incorrectly'. No messages would send after that even when I typed them, to that person but I could send message to another person. Had to delete messages first. So Google assistant or sending using voice is mucking things up.

Am I right in thinking that Google assistant will be using data.
Message 17 of 19

MI5
  • 144312 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Headbanger 

Yes it does.

Try again Settings > apps > messages > storage > clear data

Currently using:
Message 18 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes that clears it without deleting voice message that wasn't sent. Doing this from my house and the data signal is very sketchy to say the least. Will take phone with me at some point today and see if the Google assistant functions if data signal is better.
Message 19 of 19