Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send a message

Headbanger
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi purchased a Xiaomi Redmi note 9 Pro phone. I was on O2 PAYG so I purchased a pay monthly SIM only deal.

Wanted to keep my PAYG number and everything went fine. Setup new phone and I am unable to send messages via app or using Google assistant keep getting 'message not sent phone number formatted incorrectly'.

Searched online for help and tried various different solutions - when I setup a new phone I normally lock it down and I am careful about what I allow apps access too, but I tried allowing everything. I also edited a couple of my contacts numbers by changing number format. Made sure the phone was using the correct message centre number, to double check this out SIM card in another phone using +447802000332. Tried SIM card in another phone and it is working fine. I have another service providers SIM in the phone at the moment and it's working fine.

Any help would be much appreciated because it is driving me crazy.

Thanks
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Headbanger 

Have you tried clearing the message app cache?

Also check your number is correct in messaging app settings.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes cleared app cache, do you mean the message service number.
Message 3 of 19

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Headbanger 

Yes, check these tips Guide: Text Message Tips (not sent or received) 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Can't actually check this number from the app so used *#*#4636#*#* and put SIM in old phone and doubled checked using message app on that phone
Message 5 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Have tried everything there to no avail thanks
Message 6 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The phone has dual SIM have tried using both. Am I right in thinking, message service number must be correct because it is able to send messages on my old phone. It also has no problems sending messages using Google assistant on old phone.
Message 7 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If I am able to use Xiaomi with other providers SIM then all the apps must be functioning okay. When I insert the O2 SIM card and restart phone all I do is clear cache. Then I try and send messages and same error.🤔
Message 8 of 19

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Did you get a new pay monthly sim when you changed from PAYG @Headbanger ?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 19

Headbanger
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes but I got my existing number put onto that. So I am using my new SIM. Think it might be because of the number swap, I am going to check out some of the APN settings??
Message 10 of 19