Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android, Google Messages (RCS), Sim Card Issue

Twistix
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I have a Xiaomi Mi9T Pro.  The phone works beautifully and has done until very recently when I started getting trouble with googles RCS messaging service.  SO can only message via SMS unless I use whatsapp or Telegram etc.

I looked through some forums, suggested everything from rebooting, reinserting SIM, to going into Airplane mode and clearing the cache from Google Carrier services etc.  I've done all of this and yet my Google Messages App still sits on trying to verify phone number. (after so many attempts each day it gives up until the following day.)

When I started to look through the settings, I found under:- (SETTINGS>GOOGLE>DATA AND MESSAGING>DEVICE PHONE NUMBER) that it states 'No number available'

Thinking it was a google problem, I logged in to the account management website, deleted my number, waited a few minutes and readded.  It verified this with a text code.

I go back in to the (SETTINGS>GOOGLE>DATA AND MESSAGING>DEVICE PHONE NUMBER) and see its still not populated with a number I have just verified.

So....  I go into ABOUT PHONE>ALL SPECS>STATUS)  Phone number for my inserted sim card is UNKNOWN.  Why?

I cannot manually add this myself, I have read this will need to be fixed by my carrier and beleive this is the data Google/Android is trying to read from my device but fails.  That is then messing up Google Verifying my number with the RCS messaging platform.

Possible solution??  Can I please have an OTA broadcast to update my SIM to include its own number?  I tried to call and explain this but all lines just hang up and say 'we're really busy'

Many thank.

Matt

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Twistix 

I doubt that's the issue as I have a OP and RCS works without a number in that settings field. 
O2 don't push numbers to SIM cards and the only way to get your number there is to use an iPhone and go to Settings >Phone > My number and saving your number to the sim. 
You can then put sim back in your phone. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Twistix
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I see, thanks for confirming yours is working without a number being present in that field. That's all I could think of that was causing my verification issue.

When I tried to use the Google online 'form' to de-register RCS, hoping to then re-register through the messages app. They use a text back code for that also and I got the response that Google are not in control of my particular RCS messaging service, they cannot do it, my phone operator must. So o2 has to be responsible for the RCS service at some level at the very least.

Starting to lose all hope of finding anyone that can really help with this. 😞
Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Twistix 

Yes it is o2 who control it so you could try calling customer service to see if there is anything they can do on your account. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Try these numbers Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support or call 202 and stay silent until you get the ivr options. 

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

Twistix
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I tried that, that's how I ended up here.

I sat on the phone after pressing 1 to confirm I was calling from the number I needed help with and after a robot spouted about using the My O2 app and forums it just hung up. lol
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Appreciate it's not easy to get hold of them currently @Twistix but try at 8.00am in the morning for best chance. 

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Twistix
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay, so just called and hung on the phone.  Got through to a chap who has literally never heard of RCS messaging or even Messages (The default Android messaging app)

He told me I need to CALL Google and get Google to call o2 to verify my number. Bang  Anyone EVER called google????  I dont even think you can lmao

Had no clue this is an automated process that happens across hundreds of mobile operators globally all the time.

Can this be flagged for someones attention who actually understands what needs to go on behind the scenes, the guy I spoke to just wanted to discuss my phone bill. confounded

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Not sure who's on duty from o2 but I'll flag @Martin-O2 @Marjo and @LukasB to help. 

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Twistix
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you so much, you're a star!
Message 10 of 11