cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G on Samsung S4, Sheffield - Flakier than 3G?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

"Upgraded" to 4G on my Samsung Galaxy S4 a couple of days ago. Since that time, I've found mobile data to be not much faster, even when 4G is connected, and much more prone to disconnects than when I was just on 3G.

Examples using SpeedTest app from Ookla show down speed of 4.03Mbps using HSDPA and 4.79 using 4G at my workplace - the variance is similar at my home and in the middle of Sheffield - 4G is barely any faster than the service is is allegedly an upgrade from.

I'm seeing constant disconnects when on 4G (where the 4G symbol disappears and no data connection is available), very annoying when trying to use the sort of application that 4G is advertised for such as in the middle of online gaming or media streaming. If I prompt the device, I can generally reconnect to HSDPA / 4G almost immediately, but I would expect the connection to remain live whilst it's being used unless signal is lost etc - which an immediate reconnect on prompt would indicate is not the case. I have noticed that on activation, a 4G connection takes longer to establish than a 3G - up to 30 seconds, whilst a 3G connection is usually available by the time I unlock the keypad (ie <10s).

If I change my device settings to only use 2G/3G data connections, I receive a fairly reliable service - it does not disconnect in this fashion.

I'm curious as to the experience of other O2 4G users within Sheffield, and / or who are using a Samsung S4, as to whether they are experiencing similar issues.

(My device runs Android 4.3. Like an idiot, I installed when available before checking how it worked for others first... but I'm not aware of the 4.3 debacle causing this sort of issue.)

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried that myself they seem to want you to take the phone and battery to them even though it's a well known issue
Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Friend of mine had this issue with an S4 on (NETWORK X) last week - this was what prompted me to have a look at the battery on mine this weekend. The network involved replaced the battery for him straightaway at one of their retail outlets (they took the faulty battery) - he was done and dusted in less than an hour including travel time.

With O2, I'm currently on 2 phone calls (with different answers on each, natch!), a visit to one of their stores, a lengthy email and still no resolution in sight... Crazy

But this is a separate issue, and not connected to the 4G items.

Worst case, I'll just buy another battery, I like to always have a spare handy.

Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's what I ended up doing shouldn't have to though
Message 13 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149412 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Indeed, it should be simple !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not mate I made several calls to samsung they point blank refused to send out a battery
Message 15 of 21

MI5
  • 149412 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
That's strange as Samsung's own advice is to contact them for a replacement.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I tried loads of times they kept insisting I took the phone and battery to a service centre over 10 miles away when I you and they know it's a battery fault
Message 17 of 21

MI5
  • 149412 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
They appear to have revised their advice now to what you suggest so I guess they want to check that customers are not just trying it on for a free battery ?
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-offering-free-galaxy-s4...
Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah couldn't be bothered in the end and bought a new one think that's what they are hoping people do
Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

They way I look at it is simple - O2 sold me faulty goods. Under SoG, it's their responsibility to repair or replace the faulty item, any manufacturer warranty is separate.

If O2 provide decent customer service in doing so, equivalent to their competition (ie replace the battery - they can have the faulty one!) then I'll go away happy. If they don't then I won't wink

Message 20 of 21