cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G on Samsung S4, Sheffield - Flakier than 3G?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

"Upgraded" to 4G on my Samsung Galaxy S4 a couple of days ago. Since that time, I've found mobile data to be not much faster, even when 4G is connected, and much more prone to disconnects than when I was just on 3G.

Examples using SpeedTest app from Ookla show down speed of 4.03Mbps using HSDPA and 4.79 using 4G at my workplace - the variance is similar at my home and in the middle of Sheffield - 4G is barely any faster than the service is is allegedly an upgrade from.

I'm seeing constant disconnects when on 4G (where the 4G symbol disappears and no data connection is available), very annoying when trying to use the sort of application that 4G is advertised for such as in the middle of online gaming or media streaming. If I prompt the device, I can generally reconnect to HSDPA / 4G almost immediately, but I would expect the connection to remain live whilst it's being used unless signal is lost etc - which an immediate reconnect on prompt would indicate is not the case. I have noticed that on activation, a 4G connection takes longer to establish than a 3G - up to 30 seconds, whilst a 3G connection is usually available by the time I unlock the keypad (ie <10s).

If I change my device settings to only use 2G/3G data connections, I receive a fairly reliable service - it does not disconnect in this fashion.

I'm curious as to the experience of other O2 4G users within Sheffield, and / or who are using a Samsung S4, as to whether they are experiencing similar issues.

(My device runs Android 4.3. Like an idiot, I installed when available before checking how it worked for others first... but I'm not aware of the 4.3 debacle causing this sort of issue.)

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very true I agree
Message 21 of 21