Did you mean: 

4G calling unlocked Samsung

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Hola,

Seen a couple of threads with similar questions with no real answer.

I am currently testing an O2 sim along side my current EE one. My device is a Samsung galaxy note 9. This is my daily driver and I need full functionality.
Over the year I will usually try another couple of devices for fun but can put up with some quirks with them.

My Note is direct from Samsung. Is it normal with O2 to have no Volte icon? Can anyone from O2 confirm this? Just how selective is it?
It does appear to be working for me as I tested a call in Edinburgh City centre yesterday and kept 4g for data. But there is no way to know when you have it.
My EE sim has it showing 95% of the time whilst I travel about.

Seems crazy that it won't show you when it's active.
Not as crazy as having to activate a core feature on "your account" though, which seems daft in 2019.

I have switched over to O2 for the single reason to get a signal in my house / street / village. Which has worked, EE has a serious black spot here.

My other main concern is speed. O2 and behind the curve on speed. ( can get peak speeds c300meg in town).
Will test further this week before deciding to return or not before the 14 days.

Would be good to know if I'm missing something with Volte though.

Cheers,
unnamed
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@BOSSGOGG no, there is no indication on O2 like there is with other networks.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@BOSSGOGG no, there is no indication on O2 like there is with other networks.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

BOSSGOGG
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
@MI5, thanks for the quick reply. Good to know I'm not missing something.
Bad that there is no way to know its active like all other networks. Cheers.
unnamed
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They want it to be seamless so don't feel the need !

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

BOSSGOGG
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Or hide where its not available. slight_smile

Thanks again for confirming the icon is turned off at the network level.

Just some more signal / speed testing to do on my travels tomorrow to see if I can ditch the EE sim.
unnamed
Message 5 of 10

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Check this one.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/4g-calling-VoLTE-icon-not-displayed/td-p/1136418

easy to check, if during the conversation 4G icon does not change to H+, then 4G calls work and here if changes on H+, then is NOT just as was with me on my Galaxy S9 Plus...

| Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 12/512Gb | Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Soon |
Message 6 of 10

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I've recently switched from EE to O2 after 8 years with EE / T-Mobile. I had the Note9 which I bought direct from Samsung and was using it with my EE SIM. That had the VoLTE icon in the status bar but since switching to O2 with the Galaxy S10, I've noticed that you have to activate the '4G Calling' as a toggle option under 'connectivity' (this could be just on the O2 branded firmware - I'm not sure) but have a look to see if an option has appeared there on your Note9. I still don't get the VoLTE logo appear at the top of the screen though... I get a little phone symbol instead. Hope that helps!
Message 7 of 10

BOSSGOGG
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Thanks @SamsungFanBoy

Yeah, I came from EE too. Strange that O2 "hide" the icon. But it is what it is.

Also very strange that you have to activate both Volte and WiFi on your account. Why would anyone not want the option of them?

EE definitely have Volte in more places as I normally have one of my other devices with me which use EE sims.

More importantly - how are you enjoying the S10 over the Note9? Will you be switching over to the Note 10 in August?
unnamed
Message 8 of 10

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
For me, I think it's equal. VoLTE is the same on O2 for me as it was on EE. I suppose O2 give you the option in case someone prefers not to use those features.. I don't mind the choice but I'd never really choose not to use it.

I wont be buying another Galaxy Note phone. They are too big for me and weigh quite a lot more too. I was getting RSI pain from holding my Note9 as it was stretching my hand out too much. I prefer the standard sized phones to the plus size. They suit my hands better. My next handset will most likely be the S11.
Message 9 of 10

BOSSGOGG
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Yeah, they are pushing the size envelope. Luckily my hands are like shovels. 😁.

The Volte / wifi calling option is on the device, shouldn't need turned on separately by account at the network side.
unnamed
Message 10 of 10