Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Router

Mitch_2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello there can anyone if its possible to provide me with a 4G Router that would provide a "true" external IP number. So i can then forward the ports as normal to use a remote station of radio over the internet.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Doesn't the ip address change to often using a 4g connection to make that feasible?
Message 2 of 10

Mitch_2
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello there what i need is a 4G router at the remote radio site, that gives me a "true" external IP number i can then forward the ports as normal in the router and use the radio over the internet.  to a Radio that will be installed from in a second location.

For this to work remote from my home to second location remote I would need to place a 4G router at remote station side that has no Broadband or Sky.

Working remote between two remote boxes, Routers and Radios was told there are two solutions: At radio unit side, Mobile 4G Router, RRC-1258MkII and TS-480 Radio unit and Kenwood TS-480 Radio unit.

http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=452

1) Ask your provider for a true external IP number for mobile phone.
2) Setup a VPN

Remoterig Radio  Station

Message 3 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Well some operators (including o2) offer fixed ip address sims for business customers to use in m2m routers this may be your only option I suggest you have a quick search .

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10215 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions
Is this for more than one site? What is the link speed required? Voice traffic over data is bandwidth intensive

The m2m solution isn't intended for heavy data traffic, but for small data bursts and requires the provisioning of a private APN which routes traffic back into your enterprise network and back out.

There is a way to do this with a router and a USB stick, Cisco and DLINK do hardware that allow this..

If you are on o2 I would speak to your account team, and speak to o2 professional services...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
I would expect a static ip could be set in the router's settings.
I'm pretty sure I can set that on my Huawei dongle?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 I think you can change internal ip range but not set an external fixed ip 

I cannot remember if you can use a dyndns server with them to provide a reliable ip for remote login

@Mitch_2 try asking martin lynch and sons if they know of a solution as they sell the boxes used for controlling the amateur radio equipment ( I am G1twb so understand what you are trying to do)  

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 10

Mitch_2
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello there,

I have been told I would maybe need to contact my provider to supply me with a sim card for a mobile that would provide need to supply a "true" external IP number. So i can then forward the ports as normal in my router to use the radio side over the internet located maybe about 3 miles away.

I can use either an external IP number OR a VPN. Both are not necessary! The external IP number is far easier to implement if available at a reasonable cost and allows more portability on the control side of remote station at my home.

Mitch

Message 8 of 10

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Mitch_2 as ststed above only business m2m sims have static ip addresses

so that option is out as to vpn access that would be down to the 4g router used and what is supports

73 ttfn

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 10

Mitch_2
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you will try find link to business sim that must have static ip addresses to get Remoterig working again..

Message 10 of 10