Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yeah @viridis if only!
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1121 of 1,893

auntyk26
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The o2 shops closed online, does this mean anything?
Message 1122 of 1,893

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@auntyk26 wrote:
The o2 shops closed online, does this mean anything?

Yes I am seeing this. Hopefully it means they are restocking Note 7's wink

o2 shop closed.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1123 of 1,893

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I really hope so @Cleoriff. I could use some good news on the Note7 front.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1124 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous carphone warehouse haven’t replaced them all.. I took mine in Friday after receiving a text telling me too "take it in to a store to get a replacement" but was told it would have to be sent away overnight and I would receive a replacement the following morning. They said as it wouldn’t be sent until Monday evening it would be worth keeping it over the weekend. Went it yesterday and was told I won't get a replacement now until October 28th. They have given me a brand new S6 as a loan. The grass isn’t always greener.. Crazy

Message 1125 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Later on today when i have some time i will be ringing O2 and cancelling my note 7 pre order i think the best way to move forward from this long dragged out situation is to just wipe my hands with it all 😞 

I guess its reluctantly back to Iphone i go even though i really really do not want to. 

Message 1126 of 1,893

auntyk26
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm going for s7edge tomorrow and then may see if I can trade in to upgrade to Note7 when it's back.
Message 1127 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - I'm feeling exactly the same way as you. Given the complete wall of silence from both O2 and Samsung on when the phone will be available to everyone that pre-ordered, it doesn't give you a lot of faith. I've had various replies to my tweets from Samsung, when I've asked regarding stock being available - 'ask O2 about this' and 'our priority is replacing existing handsets' - which I totally get - but I/we need some sort of idea as to when the phone is going to be available.

At the moment, the speculation is end of November, which quite honestly will only be about 4 months before the launch of the anticipated S8. I'm therefore not willing to part with £700 for a phone that will be replaced by better spec only a few months later.

I still can't quite believe that O2 have had NO direct contact with customers that pre-ordered the phone (but have yet to receive it), and I wonder if Samsung are aware of the damage that this is having on their brand loyality?

Message 1128 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Received my replacement note 7 yesterday...doorstep replacement and set it up last night with no issues. I went through most of what people here are going through and to be honest I decided to stop wasting my own precious time on, as and when I was going to get it replaced and let it run its course...i fully understand how frustrating it can be and probably I will judged for saying this because I've now got what I wished for which was just leaving it to something that weve got no control over and feeling frustration, regardless to say it's worth the wait...i got mixed messages from o2 myself but regardless of what I was told I looked at the facts that a replaced was inevitable...thank you for all the help to all those people on this forum
Message 1129 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well after over 4 hours off calls made to o2 regarding my note I tried cancelling it Friday and because I've had a parcel delivered(SIM card) they saying I've had part of my order already and until it's sorted with the depot there's nothing I can do as its classed as part delivered...absolutely fuming with this but made a phone call yesterday and finally spoke to a manager who was dealing with it and was supposed to ring me today!!! Yep you guessed it in still waiting for a call to tell me what going on with my cancellatio...I've got a crap credit rating so I can't just jump ship and go to a different provider but my phone bill was cut off other day because I didn't pay it and they said I must pay my bill first for which I declined until I get clearance on my phone sorted out...childish but quick to take my money but won't sort my phone out
Message 1130 of 1,893