O2's 5G network is now LIVE!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Header - Corporate_5G.png
O2 Switches on 5G with Unlimited Data, Flexible Plans and No Premium

• O2 launches 5G on its revolutionary Custom Plans, with unlimited data, and no 5G premium 
  • Network rollout begins across the UK today in Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Slough and Leeds, reaching a total of 20 towns and cities in 2019  
  • Exclusive partnership with MelodyVR and Oculus from Facebook gives music fans intimate access to gigs and musicians through cutting edge Virtual Reality 
  • Business partnerships with ITN, Samsung and Northumbrian Water Group demonstrate real-world 5G use cases and their potential to boost the British economy 

17 October 2019: O2 today launches its 5G network with a range of new tariffsincluding an unlimited data optionat the same price as its 4G equivalents. From today, customers can access 5G through O2’s revolutionary custom plans, giving them the flexibility to take advantage of 5G on their terms. O2 has also released an exclusive partnership tariff with Oculus from Facebook and MelodyVR, the destination for music in virtual realitygiving customers exclusive VR music experiences.

O2’s 5G network is launching in six locations across the UK: Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Slough and Leeds, improving capacity and reliability in key placesThe network will initially switch on where it’s needed most, including busy footfall areas around London Waterloo and Kings Cross; Haymarket in Edinburgh; Trinity Shopping Centre in Leeds; and Belfast South city centre; or in busy match-day hotspots around Twickenham or the Emirates Stadium. The network will be live in a total of 20 towns and cities by the end of the year, and 50 by summer 2020.

Mark Evans, CEO, Telefónica UK, said: “Today is a significant moment for our customers and our business as we switch on the O2 5G networkWe’re launching with a range of tariffs that make it easy and fair for customers to access 5G, with flexible plans that cost no more than 4G. We’re also switching on 5G in important parts of towns and cities first, places where it will benefit customers and businesses most.

"
I believe 5G is going to revolutionise the way people and businesses use mobile connectivity, unlocking huge possibilities for our economy and society. No one in the country has all the answers today, but I’m excited about getting it into the hands of our customers and working with leading partners to help shape the future of 5G for the next generation.”

For more information on our 5G launch, including our tariffs, more information on MelodyVR, our '5Guarantee', business partnerships and more, check out our full press release here.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13536 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
How do we upgrade our 5g devices on 4g tarrifs?
Message 11 of 36

viridis
  • 13536 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
By the end of 2019 we're planning to bring our 5G network to areas of the following 20 towns and cities:

Belfast Coventry Leeds Nottingham
Blackpool Derby Leicester Reading
Bournemouth Edinburgh Lisburn Slough
Bristol Eton London Stoke
Cardiff Guildford Norwich Windsor

By summer 2020, O2 is planning on network rollout in an additional 30 towns and cities – reaching 50 in total. We’re currently busy planning our 5G rollout in the following:

Aberdeen Kingston Plymouth
Bradford Liverpool Portsmouth
Brighton Luton Sheffield
Birkenhead Manchester Southampton
Birmingham Milton Keynes Sunderland
Cambridge Newbury Warrington
Glasgow Newcastle Wolverhampton
Hove Northampton
Message 12 of 36

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12683 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1156 Solutions
New SIM I think was the comms - I'll see if I can find it @viridis...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 13 of 36

gmarkj
  • 12683 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1156 Solutions
Yep - help page says:
"To get onto our 5G network you’ll need to swap to a 5G sim and move to a new 5G tariff. Just get in touch, and we’ll sort it for you."
Cheers for the list of locations as well @viridis - is that off Twitter?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 14 of 36

viridis
  • 13536 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Off the O2 5g page.

Tell you what tho, I'm a bit miffed I bought the note so early now...
Message 15 of 36

gmarkj
  • 12683 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1156 Solutions
Same page I got the line above from then I think (under the FAQs section).
Are you not near one of the ones that have gone live already?

Message 16 of 36

viridis
  • 13536 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Nah, before end of 2019.

Message 17 of 36

viridis
  • 13536 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
@Chris_K
Do those who bought 5G devices and have been waiting for 5G get the option of the Oculus Go?
I suspect not but worth checking
Message 18 of 36

Luke30
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 389 Posts
  • 131 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Is 5G been switched on in Dorset?
LGreenwood
Message 19 of 36

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24068 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

I think the headline should probably read 

"O2 Switches on 5G with Unlimited Data, Flexible Plans and No Premium....For Now"

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 20 of 36