Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Webmail is closing - More info inside

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

If you use an @o2.co.uk email address you were given previously as part of a broadband or mobile phone package, we’re sorry to tell you that this service is soon coming to an end.

Why?
While some people used these free email accounts, the vast majority didn't, and instead have been using popular other email services like Gmail or Outlook (Hotmail) instead. From 7th June 2016, all o2.co.uk email accounts will be closed and you’ll be unable to send or receive emails using your o2.co.uk account from this date.

What about all my emails, attachments and contacts?
We can show you how to transfer your contacts, email addresses and attachments to Gmail and Outlook. Just make sure you move them before your o2.co.uk email account closes on 7th June. Unfortunately, we can’t transfer them to Yahoo! Mail, so you’ll need to set up either a Gmail or Outlook account to move them.

Likewise, if you use your O2 email address as your log-in for any online services, like banking or shopping, you'll need to update those too. Some customers manage their O2 account from their o2.co.uk email address. If you do too, take a look at www.o2.co.uk/myo2 where you can see your balance, check your bill and get the low down on your account any time you like with My O2.

We’ll be in touch again before June 7th, just to remind you of what’s happening. Until then, we hope this won’t cause too much trouble.

Got any questions or concerns?
Please let us know below – we always welcome and appreciate feedback. If you need more help transferring your emails and contacts, feel free to speak to an O2 Guru - Just check out Live Chat here, or pop into one of our shops.

Remember you can find more info on everything mentioned above here on our website

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 212
211 REPLIES 211

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

What is wrong with Hotmail/Outlook? I actually use both but my Gmail is used for other things and it's easier to keep track this way 😄

Nothing, and it too offers IMAP wink

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 51 of 212

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Just personal experience if I'm honest. I always found it and the Live software rather cumbersome and intrusive on the computer. If it works for you then fine, seems I'm in the minority but I'll contine with my preferences of Outlook and GMail across all devices. They work great for me with a minimal of spam. I got far too many Nigerians wanting to give me money with Hotmail, not too mention the x-rated offers from all manner of ladies wink

Message 52 of 212

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122809 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I had a Hotmail account but dropped/deleted it. Just Outlook and Gmail now. (I remember being dragged kicking and screaming into the world of Gmail last November. I still remain amazed) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 53 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been an o2 email customer since orange messed their email accounts about some 10 years ago. Generally I can say that I have been happy with their service until now.

I can understand o2 needing to cut their costs; eventually I assume that they can get rid of some server space, staff and overheads etc.

The problem with this cancellation of the o2 address I see are twofold:

1. I have found today emails for 50 business contacts who send emails to my o2 address and that is just for the last 5 days, I am expecting to find over 150 contacts who use this address when I finish sorting through my old emails. (Just for the record o2 forward all these email automatically to my outlook account which was put in place when o2 reduced their email storage limit).
  2. I probably have 25 + trading contacts e.g. Banks, Amazon, PayPal and many more where my logon to their trading accounts uses my o2 address.

Both these two issues are going to involve a lot of work changing the details with all these contacts.

Both my wife and I have a similar situation, so an easy solution that would reduce this work would be useful. Any Suggestions?

Message 54 of 212

Cleoriff
  • 122809 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The only advice I could give is to start moving everything now. There were notifications sent out in 2013 that some O2 webmail accounts were closing...sadly not everyone got them... or others did and ignored the notice. There will be no leeway on this..I imagine the June date is the absolute final one. I anticipate they will start a staged shutdown before then...

I know this isn't very helpful to you as an individual but it's the only advice I can give. By the way I now use Gmail which transfers everything across seamlessly

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 55 of 212

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
@Anonymous you could set up auto reply with your new email address, this wouldn't work for paypal etc but could help with personal email from family and friends. But I guess its really a case of going back to each site you use regularly and swapping the address over, the rest as and when you need to use them.
Message 56 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable

I only chanced on this info a few days ago and as others hope that an email will be sent to all current users like myself. I have not received one yet.  

The answer to 'Why?' is seriously lacking!

I assume this means that I will have to advise all those that correspond with me by email that they will have to use a new address. Most inconvenient.

May be as a gesture o2 would consider incorporating a warning message to all those sending emails to my o2.co.uk address that it will be changing and to contact me for a new address.  

Message 57 of 212

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
so this is not new, its been planned for several years. O2 don't and cant see them doing an auto reply without you first setting this up. But hey, after its closed all those still sending emails to you will be informed the address doesn't exist... this may prompt them to contact you grin

No but on a serious note, I would make the change sooner rather than later.
Message 58 of 212

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

May be as a gesture o2 would consider incorporating a warning message to all those sending emails to my o2.co.uk address that it will be changing and to contact me for a new address.  

Does webmail not have the option to add a signature?

Message 59 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, quick question. Did the free subscription to McAfee come with the old O2 broadband before Sky took over or is it connected to O2 webmail? Am I going to lose it when webmail closes is what I'm trying to say?

Many thanks!
Message 60 of 212