Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Webmail is closing - More info inside

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

If you use an @o2.co.uk email address you were given previously as part of a broadband or mobile phone package, we’re sorry to tell you that this service is soon coming to an end.

Why?
While some people used these free email accounts, the vast majority didn't, and instead have been using popular other email services like Gmail or Outlook (Hotmail) instead. From 7th June 2016, all o2.co.uk email accounts will be closed and you’ll be unable to send or receive emails using your o2.co.uk account from this date.

What about all my emails, attachments and contacts?
We can show you how to transfer your contacts, email addresses and attachments to Gmail and Outlook. Just make sure you move them before your o2.co.uk email account closes on 7th June. Unfortunately, we can’t transfer them to Yahoo! Mail, so you’ll need to set up either a Gmail or Outlook account to move them.

Likewise, if you use your O2 email address as your log-in for any online services, like banking or shopping, you'll need to update those too. Some customers manage their O2 account from their o2.co.uk email address. If you do too, take a look at www.o2.co.uk/myo2 where you can see your balance, check your bill and get the low down on your account any time you like with My O2.

We’ll be in touch again before June 7th, just to remind you of what’s happening. Until then, we hope this won’t cause too much trouble.

Got any questions or concerns?
Please let us know below – we always welcome and appreciate feedback. If you need more help transferring your emails and contacts, feel free to speak to an O2 Guru - Just check out Live Chat here, or pop into one of our shops.

Remember you can find more info on everything mentioned above here on our website

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 212
211 REPLIES 211

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Honestly no idea but there are many better free options to McAfee.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 61 of 212

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 62 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable
How can i close my o2 mail account now
Message 63 of 212

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

There is no way to actually close it until O2 switch off all accounts. At that stage any emails sent to your email account will bounce back.

Message 64 of 212

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
There's no need, it will close automatically. Just make sure you've moved everything to a new email account in the next few weeks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 65 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all, quick question. Did the free subscription to McAfee come with the old O2 broadband before Sky took over or is it connected to O2 webmail? Am I going to lose it when webmail closes is what I'm trying to say?

Many thanks!

Try Avira, it's free and better than McAfee according to everyone who uses it, and also according to this.

Message 66 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable
...and btw guys, Hotmail, Live, and Outlook are all the same thing. They are the same email service, just that the latter two had different official clients that you could optionally use (which also worked with all 3).
Message 67 of 212

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi...
When O2 sold their broadband to Sky and transferred it's broadband customers, it was promised that the o2 e-mail accounts would be preserved and supported.  I have an O2 mobile phone account and e-mail.  If O2 break there promise to preserve the SMPT pop 3 e-mail service... then I shall end my account with O2 altogether.  They will have lost a customer. 

How can a supposedly major world networking company like O2 not maintain an e-mail facility!  E-mailing is not yet obsolete in this age of texting, Skype and social media.  For serious communications and forum feedback it is still the preferred medium.  O2 is making a BIG mistake by dropping it's e-mail servers.  For gawds sake how much investment and man-power does it take to maintain an SMPT pop 3 server.  If O2 is that hard up for money and resources it must be close to being on its knee's. 

Think of the advertising coverage that O2 are losing by not having an 'O2' brand logo on millions of e-mails networking the world!  Perhaps they should be asking theirr marketing people before pulling the plug on the O2 e-mail, the cost of maintaining it must be nominal, the returns in advertising and company presence is priceless... let alone as a doorway for people to sign up to a 4G O2 phone contract.   Certainly Microsoft (Hotmail/Outlook), Google (Gmail), BT and Yahoo are spreading their brand name by encouraging users to sign up with branded e-mail accounts.

Possibly O2 have the wrong people making these decisions... I know if I was head of O2 marketing I would be spitting nails at such a proposal to diminish the O2 profile.

James-  soon to be an ex  < ****** o2.co.uk > and mobile phone user.

On 09-Mar-16 5:21 PM, O2 wrote:

O2 e-mail services closing 7th JUne 2016

Message 68 of 212

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
O2 won't care less if you leave I'm afraid mate.

Currently using:
Message 69 of 212

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Let's all be honest here. Anyone who uses/used o2 webmail are totally aware of the very basic options offered. I lost count of the number of times when composing a long email and the page went blank, all work irretrievable and stress immeasurable. I just stopped using it and used the address for registering on one off or throwaway sites. It was totally unfit for purpose and good riddance to it.

Message 70 of 212