cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News about O2’s Home Broadband and Home Phone Service

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

We have reached agreement with Sky for them to acquire our consumer Home Broadband and Home Phone business.

For more information on what this means, read more here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1CRJT

If you’d like to read our press release, it’s here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1zF10

O2 Social Media Team

Message 1 of 379
378 REPLIES 378

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I think your discount like everyone's will disappear as soon as murdock gets his feet under the table.

It won't change until your O2 contract runs out.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 261 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

BT have got a good offer at the moment so may just go there

Message 262 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the sale has completed. Received the email today.

I personally have no previous dealings with Sky and don't honestly care about their business ethics as most companies have dark secrets and the most sucessful business men have to be **insert harsh swearword here**

So long as I receive (even at contract renewal) the same level of service, the same speed and truly unlimited broadband, the same kind of call packages and everything else for within £30 like I currently am then I have no issues.

However, I like many others am concerned about eventually losing the O2 mobile discount. This was also the main thing preventing me from looking at over mobile companies. Once my current mobile contract reaches it's end (just upgraded on 26th April) then I shall be looking at the best deal/tarrif across all providers. If there's cheaper, I'll take it as there'll be no truly rewarding reason for staying with O2.

My service with O2 has been outstanding. I've always had my broadband with them and also had home phone with them pretty much for as long as they've offered it. I've only ever been with them for broadband (a couple of bad dealings with phone before O2) since i moved out on my own back in 2008. Obviously this buyout is a very scary prospect for me as O2 are all I've known. So long as Sky keep the UK call centres ethic with friendly staff then all's good.

**update**

After looking at Sky's pricing model it appears that their prices work out the same (actually slightly cheaper) as O2 even WITHOUT the mobile discount!! Making them actually a cheaper option than O2!!! This makes me a LOT more comfortable/happy with the change and so long as I continue to receive the same level of service I am perfectly fine with this transfer. grin

Message 263 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Not happy. Not had the email notification yet. Luckliy found out with the forum update. We were with SKY years ago and were not happy with their service and got rid. Got a freeview box instead. All the bull about their wonderful customer service is a joke. When we were with them, their Customer Service was appalling.  I was hoping it wouldn't go through. I am actually out of contract with o2 Home Broadband, well some time ago, and have stuck with o2 because I was happy, now I am considering my options. I am in no hurry to go back with them.  Murdock owns too much. Smiley Mad

Message 264 of 379

Paultrust
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I like most other people here are angered at the devious way this deal has been concluded all the promises that we would have plenty of time to move if we choose. I still wonder about the OFT report has it concluded or is it the 16th May as previously stated on this forum.

As they say "its not over till the fat lady sings" bet she's belting out a tune or two at O2 tonight, for me I got my MAC Key to go to Plusnet earlier this evening at least they have nothing to do with Sky. Plusnet seemed to be having a busy day perhaps I am not alone I certainly was not the only one to defect from O2 or is it now SkyI don't "believe in better" I believed in what we had

The one and only saving grace is I will still have a connection to O2 as a mobile customer so I hope to be around on the forums 

Paul

Message 265 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

The question I stil have which I cant find an answer to is :

I am out of contract.  When i am moved over to "Sky's network" - am i then under a 1 year contract?

Im willing to 'give them a go' but don't want to be tied into a year if the service is dire...

Steve

Message 266 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

for me it was about Sky itself. If the goverment turn around and say, recommend to block **bleep**, or a torrent website, or anything.... Sky instantly do it, no questions asked so do BT.  Some ISP's may be more expensive but atleast they have some integrity.

Message 267 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

In previous posts I shared my misgivings regarding Sky based on my abyssmal treatment after their takeover of UKOnline.  I also noted the poor experience with Sky customer services with the notable exception of sales !! My Customers with Sky's phone and broadband were less than impressed.

From the notes so far I take it that my o2 E-mailstorage has been reduced now to 20MB.  This means - does it not - that there will only be a limited volume of messages on the O2 web mail.

Thus far I am delaying any decision regarding phone and broadband but my gut instinct is hello plusnet.  This is not because of the normal service that Sky offers but because of their terrible reputation in the industry for sorting out problems which will occur.  

Two weeks ago i tried to contact them on a broadband network problem that arose on their Sky TV box. It took ages to find the relevant phone number after a futile Live messaging fiasco.  After 1 1/2 hours I gave up having been switched around through seven different so-called technical advisors.  I have now moved to FreeSat with a loss to Sky of £684/annum.

Scotilla

Message 268 of 379

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I am out of contract.  When i am moved over to "Sky's network" - am i then under a 1 year contract?

You will stay as you are until you decide whether to renew with Sky, then it's down to what they offer.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 269 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

People, don't judge based on experiences you may have had with Sky years ago. Especially if it was Sky TV. Things can change in companies. All I can definitely guarantee is you will not be paying more money, even when your contract is renewed. If anything you may be SAVING money with Sky.

If it's business ethics stopping you, then never get a job with them. For being a customer all that really matters is the service you receive and Sky provide 24/7 technical support the same as O2. You don't know how the staff will be as you've not tried them out yet. When you signed into a contract with O2 you didn't know for sure how they would be either, but you took the plunge and it paid off. Give Sky a chance for the remainder (or entire length if you've just renewed) of your contract and THEN make your decisions. Your hatred towards Sky's service will then be well founded.

I've had negative experiences with TalkTalk in the past and wouldn't dream of touching them. However, I could just as easily sign up with them nowadays and have a wonderful experience. There have actually been many people singing their praises more recently. Things change, services change. As someone already said, there has to be a reason they've been able to hold on to millions of customers. If they were truly that bad then their business would die out. If you've had negative experience with Sky TV in the past then don't take Sky TV. The broadband probably won't be any different for you than it currently is. The only difference being your billing handled through Sky rather than O2.

Message 270 of 379