cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News about O2’s Home Broadband and Home Phone Service

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

We have reached agreement with Sky for them to acquire our consumer Home Broadband and Home Phone business.

For more information on what this means, read more here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1CRJT

If you’d like to read our press release, it’s here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1zF10

O2 Social Media Team

Message 1 of 379
378 REPLIES 378

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Aashiq,

I have posted a bit of information about this, have a look below:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Three-takeover-o2/m-p/491322#M35441

Cheers, Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 371 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes thx toby. solar helped but my dad fixed my wifi. it had to pare propaly? wher did the posts go?
Message 372 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just read the (so far) 38 pages of this topic. Do I get an endurance award of some kind?

I have not seen (or perhaps missed?) any mention of Sky's Dynamic Line Management that Sky stealthily runs on all ADSL BB connections (as far as I am aware). This is the reason I personally do not want to be bumped onto Sky BB.

Neither am I a happy bunny (why is it bunnies that are supposedly happy. I have never seen one single bunny smile: Have you?) because apparently I am being gently coerced ("forced" is another word that springs to mind) to incur financial penalties if I don't move to Sky BB, as I am in contract with o2 until Jan. 2014.

Maybe some will wonder what is DLM (Dynamic Line Management)? Maybe some won't wonder what DLM is? Maybe some will wonder why they are reading this? DLM is Sky's marvellous software for stabilising your connection without you even knowing you are being "stabilised". This is done by dropping the speed of your connection until your line becomes "stable". Obviously this saves a fortune to Sky's CS with fewer irate customers complaining about disconnections, as those customers get "stabilised" lines, without even knowing (just slower connections of course to become "stabilised"). DLM is not throttling or capping BTW, which are entirely different.

Overall DLM can be a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing if your speeds get reduced to "stabilise" your connection to a speed that makes your BB connection somewhat less than usable for some applications (e.g. streaming to TV via Sky on Demand needs a certain minimum speed I think, etc.).

So how do I know this about DLM? I am an ex Sky BB customer (now with o2), and left Sky BB because of DLM. I tried to get DLM lifted because of the adverse affects it caused me. Unfortunately with DLM you can't get it removed (Sky computers say "NO").

Now.....................for most having DLM steathily operating on their connections isn't an issue at all, as their line will be stable or be made "stable" because of DLM, without any adverse effects, but it is something to be considered when being poushed onto Sky. I am not anti Sky BTW, and have their TV packages, and even have my landline rental and calls from them via a BT Wholesale line (not a Sky LLU line).

So what has the above really got to do with anything if people don't mind taking the risk?

Well if there was an option where any o2 customers under contract from o2 weren't being "coerced" to join Sky under threat of financial penalties otherwise - then no problem at all. Unfortunately I have had confirmed in an email from o2 that going with any provider for BB other than Sky will incur fininancial penalties, if still under contract with o2.

Relevant info. from an email I have received (when I requested a MAC today):-

"Don't forget our seven day notice period. As long as you wait seven days from the date you told us you wanted to leave, we won't charge you. If you're still in a contract though, we'll have to charge you for leaving it early.

If you're moving to Sky, please ignore this email " (Red for empahisis on important part added by me).

This seems to clear up some of the queries in this topic about whether you will be charged or not for leaving within contract. If you are willing to be "coerced" to go to Sky - you don't get charged. However if you don't want to go to Sky - you will be charged!!

Hope the above helps some here.

Message 373 of 379

PP1000
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The "coersion"  surely is no different from what 02 were   at liberty to to enforce when you were in contract. They also could charge if you wanted to pullout early depending on how many months were left. If Sky are required to honour the terms and conditions of the original contract , what do you expect?

Message 374 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where in the original o2 contract does it mention applying DLM to a line, whether you want it or not?

Also on ringing Sky (because I have my line rental and calls via Sky - but on a BT Wholesale line), apparently Sky will sling those users on their LLU kit. Can you tell me where that is in the original o2 contract about being moved to an LLU line, with all the future cease and provide issues that might be incurred if anyone wants to leave Sky BB??

Fact of the matter is that the two products are different. If I signed a contract for a crate of apples, I wouldn't expect to be charged a financial penalty for it being substituted for a crate of bananas, and being forced to accept the bananas as being the same as apples (BTW - apples are different to bananas).

Message 375 of 379

PP1000
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Where in the orignal O2 contract did it say you could leave under contract without finanicial penalty?

If your speed drops significantly then query it  (has it, or not,  or are you just assuming it might?) but your Apple and Oranges analogy is spurious. You already said DLM doesn't have to have adverse effects even if applied.

Message 376 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

PPIOO posted:-

If your speed drops significantly then query it  (has it, or not,  or are you just assuming it might?)

As previously mentioned: I was a Sky BB customer, before switching to o2. The reason for switching was the reductions in speed caused by Sky's Dynamic Line Management. Effectively my speeds were up to 20% less with a Sky connection that I presently get with o2, because of DLM.

Where in the orignal O2 contract did it say you could leave under contract without finanicial penalty?

Where in the contract does it state that customers will incure a financial penalty, even if the product is different?

Would you meekly be coerced into accepting bananas are the same as apples?

If you signed a contract for purchase of a gerbil, and then that contract was sold to someone else who gave you an elephant instead: Would you say that the contract was the same?

You already said DLM doesn't have to have adverse effects even if applied.

What I actually posted was:-

"for most having DLM steathily operating on their connections isn't an issue at all, as their line will be stable or be made "stable" because of DLM, without any adverse effects"

"I am an ex Sky BB customer (now with o2), and left Sky BB because of DLM. I tried to get DLM lifted because of the adverse affects it caused me."

Highlighted the bits you appear to have misread. DLM does cause issues for some people (me being one of them).

Also lots have had complete nightmare experiences when moving from an LLU ISP/'Phone provider to another ISP with considerable downtime on their internet connection (also sometimes massive cease and provide costs, although Sky may not charge those for people leaving), and Sky will definitely want to chuck people on their LLU service, if they can.

Message 377 of 379

PP1000
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

And you continually "misread " what I typed.

Good luck with convincing Sky or anyone  else  that you've been sold an elephant instead of  broadband.

You haven't convinced me.

If you want to leave early because of something that hasn't happened yet, and without discussing it with Sky , should your connection deteriorate , you know what to do. 

Though I had to laugh when you said you already had Sky phone.....

Message 378 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

PP100 posted:-

Good luck with convincing Sky or anyone  else  that you've been sold an elephant instead of  broadband.

You haven't convinced me.

I was merely stating my experience with Sky's DLM when I was a Sky BB customer. Anyone can chosse to ignore my experience if they wish. Also I am not a great fan of being all "bundled up" on an LLU line, because of possible costly cease and provide issues that many have experienced if they try to switch from some LLU providers in the past (as Sky is, and TalkTalk)

PP100 posted:-

Though I had to laugh when you said you already had Sky phone.....

What do you find so comical about that? I have been with Sky for line rental and 'phone calls for a few years now, but not on their LLU kit, but a BT wholesale line. In fact Sky wasn't LLU at all when they initially launched their 'phone/broadband deals. Didn't you know that?

Message 379 of 379