cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News about O2’s Home Broadband and Home Phone Service

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

We have reached agreement with Sky for them to acquire our consumer Home Broadband and Home Phone business.

For more information on what this means, read more here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1CRJT

If you’d like to read our press release, it’s here: http://o2lin.kr/Z1zF10

O2 Social Media Team

Message 1 of 379
378 REPLIES 378

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Stormguitarist,

I know there are a lot of questions that need answering and all I can say is that I will update you as soon as more information is available to me.

The change is still going through regulatory approval and more information will arrive soon.

Cheers, Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 131 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

The change is still going through regulatory approval and more information will arrive soon.

So all the talk of Sky could be academic since the UK govt don't particularly like Murdoch these days.  But reading around the sell off it seems that O2 are being a little economical with the truth re selling home broadband to concentrate on 4G.  Read that as "there's a big hole in our finances and we can't afford to compete for 4G".

wonder how many customers will have to leave for Sky to refuse to pay for the customer list - and how long before they start bombarding us with deals to switch?

Message 132 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny I got a letter addressed specifically to me not the usual householder from Sky today with usual BS about joining sky and their amazing service/offers. They probably got my details from O2 no doubt. I suspect those that jump ship and move to sky without waiting will get a worse deal than those who wait. I just wish I could have jumped ship to plusnet on Friday when I heard about the sale. I want to see what get out of contract options are given by sky. The only way i'd be even vaugley interested would be if they gave me a sky hd box and some minimum poss tv package for free for what I pay o2 now for the remainder of the contract. Other than that I'm off as fast as my legs will carry me. It's interesting to see skys equivelent forum to this. So so so many complaints about their customer service and incompitence and being given wrong information, lack of responses lack of telephone support everyting been through their online chat system etc. That has been one area where O2 really are gold star.

1st of many I suspect 

Message 133 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is 02 homebroadband and home phone moving to sky,I took up my contract with 02 because i have always used them for mobiles and I have alway received a good service from them.When i enquired about homebroadband i wanted uk call centers and fast conection,far from what sky offer.Looks like i will be looking elsewhere 😞

Message 134 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

At the moment I get a free subscription to McAfee as part of my O2 broadband package. Sky only offer a 3-month or 12-month free trial of McAfee, after which (presumably) I would be expected to pay for something which I am now getting effectively for free. That's another extra cost to be taken into consideration when deciding whether to allow Sky to provide my broadband.

From what I have been able to find out their broadband offering is inferior to O2's, and is also more expensive. If I have to pay for a McAfee licence their prices become even less attractive.

The 'broadbandchanges' page has only this bland assurance :

"There will be no change to the McAfee service immediately. Sky also offer McAfee Security. We'll be working with them to ensure there is no disruption to your security software when your broadband service moves over to Sky."

Will the existing arrangements for a free McAfee subscription be continued once Sky are in control, or not?

Message 135 of 379

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You seem to have answered your own question, no doubt we'll be told when they've worked it out.

Failing that you could get rid of McAfee and use MSE, AVG or Avast which are free.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 136 of 379

Paultrust
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My interest is about the home phone sytem based around the BT network, I have no desire to change from this system to Sky Phone. If we are told that there will be no changes for a while does that actually mean that we will remain on the BT based system for our broadband connection for the forseeable future? . can anyone as yet give a definite answer to this one? 

Message 137 of 379

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Not yet still waiting for more, I doubt we'll get much now until the deal is settled.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 138 of 379

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Paul,

I shall try and get some information for you as soon as possible.

Cheers, Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 139 of 379

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto this is what I want to know. 

Message 140 of 379