Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was I misled? PAC / Porting my number to O2 from Three

PaulRed
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would like to get your opinions on an issue I have encountered during the recent transfer of my Three Mobile number  (Monthly contract) to an O2 PAYG SIM  on Tuesday, 5th March.

Following the use of a PAC code through O2's transfer form on Tuesday 5th March, my Three SIM was disconnected the next day; however, the intended number porting to O2 did not occur. Despite multiple calls to O2 customer services, where they resubmitted the PAC code and advised patience, I was then informed on Friday, 8th March, that it is purportedly impossible to transfer a Pay Monthly SIM from another provider to a PAYG SIM. Consequently, I was told I needed to take out a contract with O2 for a minimum of 12 months.

Feeling compelled due to the PAC code already being in O2's system and unusable elsewhere, I reluctantly subscribed to a contract to retain my old number. 

Since initiating the PAC code transfer and since Wednesday, 6th March, at 12 noon, I have been without my number. My primary concern is whether O2 was accurate in stating that a Pay Monthly SIM cannot be transferred to a PAYG SIM. Was I possibly misled or provided with inaccurate information to coerce me into committing to a 12-month contract?

I eagerly await your opinions in clarifying this matter. If O2's assertion is correct, I am perplexed as to why this information was not conveyed during the six previous calls and why their online form allows users to select a transfer from a monthly SIM to a PAYG. Conversely, if customer services provided incorrect information, I find myself in a situation where I have been obligated to enter into a contract against my wishes.

I appreciate your guidance.

Note: I have also sent this to OFCOM for their view on this case.

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie @MI5 @madasaf1sh @Oxonian @Enlli 

Hi all, Can I ask a question. Do you know what Closed mean on complaints in MY O2?

For example

Complaint
Closed
Date closed: 13 Mar 2024
Reference number- CCT-NUMBER

Does this mean that they have just closed the complaint without consideration. The filter only shows Created to Closed and Closed to Created so I am not sure what this means.

Update: The port in order showed complete. The number has not come across though and after starting another chat, the O2 REP initially said my port in number was my temp number and the the port had completed to the orignal SIM number...

I corrected them and they then changed this to "there was system error" and they will personally email the backend team to look at with personal apologies etc.

I am seriously close to giving up on the number and cancelling the O2 account within the 14 Day Cool off.
Whilst I have a complaint out with O2, I suspect this will affect any complaint I can make to the Ombudsman if I do cancel.

However, I have a business to run and I cannot use the temp number as I do not know whether the porting will happen of not. This number is also associated with 2FA accounts and I am going to need to set up an account with another provider if this goes on to long.

I am in limbo as it were.

Message 21 of 68

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@PaulRed 

You should have been emailed with the reason for closing your complaint.

Check your spam folder before chasing for a reason Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 22 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 Checked spam / junk and no email from them with a reason. 

Message 23 of 68

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7496 Posts
  • 142 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@PaulRed 

If the date on which your complaint was closed is shown as today, I would be inclined to give it until tomorrow before pursuing it. 👍 

Message 24 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian I think the complaints I see are opened and closed during chat sessions. Not the formal complaints. 

In any case, I have had enough. 

I am going to cancel tomorrow within the 14 day period. The service is so bad that I am willing to give up on a number I have had for over 20 years.

Its only a number and my sanity cannot take the dumb ass O2 customer service team anymore.

Message 25 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian and all interested - Just a note that I called 202 today at 8am and went to cancellations. I was then put through to the UK call centre and somebody there looked into it and found that the whilst the number was ported, The PAC had been used during the THREE to O2 PAYG Port on the 5th/6th March prior to me being coerced into a contract SIM. The PAC was of course failing because of this. I had been trying to tell O2 this for days.

He then went on to say that he was raising this to escalate and he suggested a timeframe of early next week before if it resolved and the number being ported. He can see the number in the system which gives me some hope.

A slight improvement over the usual, "wait 24 hours" "we promise it will be sorted" "We can resubmit the PAC for you" "We assure you we are personally taking care of it" answers.

Whether this gets my number back or not, we shall see but I will now give them til next week.

I have a huge complaint set out against them which covers not only being coerced into contract with misinformation but then the porting issue and being without my number since Wednesday 6th March. What will come from that, we shall also see.

Message 26 of 68

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@PaulRed 

Whilst they won't investigate anything, OFCOM will keep such reports on file and if a large enough number of same complaints are received, will step in to seek resolution with the network in question.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 27 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 I have reported it to OFCOM already and had their response. I have included this in the Complaint. 

Message 28 of 68

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7496 Posts
  • 142 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@PaulRed wrote:

@MI5 I have reported it to OFCOM already and had their response. I have included this in the Complaint. 

Just out of interest @PaulRed, what was OFCOM's response please ?  

Message 29 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @MI5 

As you know, I have two complaints rolled into one. 

1) Being mis-sold / coerced into a contract stating that it was impossible to port a number from a Pay Monthly Sim to the PAYG so I had no choice.

2) My number not being ported since the 6th March 2024 despite being in there system after the original PAC code transfer - This is still the case and whilst I think this has been properly escalated yesterday, Based upon what I have encountered so far,  I do not expect a resolution anytime soon. I also expect to be without my number for another 1 to 2 weeks meaning approx 4 weeks without it.

A full complaint along with full timeline of calls and other communications has been sent to O2 and via Resolver. Although Resolver is just a portal and not a service it will make it easier to log all further calls and communication.

The evidence is so strong and whilst I expect this to be dragged to the bitter end by O2 (Probably months), they have not got a leg to stand on.

In short I asked OFCOM about the porting code of conduct and about the information I was given stating categorically and during taking the order for the contract SIM, that it was impossible to port a number from a Pay Monthly to PAYG SIM.

This is a snippet of OFCOM's response which clarified that in both cases O2 have failed on code of conduct. OFCOM, of course cannot do anything as it is just an advisory service. It all helps though.

Ofcom Regulations, specifically GC C7.38 and GC C7.39 state providers must ensure the porting process is completed within one working day and while there are industry processes in place to ensure consumers can transfer their services with minimal disruption, sometimes errors can occur. It is also possible to port a mobile number from a pay monthly service to a PAYG service and as it appears the mobile phone number has been accepted by O2, any complaint will need to be raised with them.

Message 30 of 68