Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was I misled? PAC / Porting my number to O2 from Three

PaulRed
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would like to get your opinions on an issue I have encountered during the recent transfer of my Three Mobile number  (Monthly contract) to an O2 PAYG SIM  on Tuesday, 5th March.

Following the use of a PAC code through O2's transfer form on Tuesday 5th March, my Three SIM was disconnected the next day; however, the intended number porting to O2 did not occur. Despite multiple calls to O2 customer services, where they resubmitted the PAC code and advised patience, I was then informed on Friday, 8th March, that it is purportedly impossible to transfer a Pay Monthly SIM from another provider to a PAYG SIM. Consequently, I was told I needed to take out a contract with O2 for a minimum of 12 months.

Feeling compelled due to the PAC code already being in O2's system and unusable elsewhere, I reluctantly subscribed to a contract to retain my old number. 

Since initiating the PAC code transfer and since Wednesday, 6th March, at 12 noon, I have been without my number. My primary concern is whether O2 was accurate in stating that a Pay Monthly SIM cannot be transferred to a PAYG SIM. Was I possibly misled or provided with inaccurate information to coerce me into committing to a 12-month contract?

I eagerly await your opinions in clarifying this matter. If O2's assertion is correct, I am perplexed as to why this information was not conveyed during the six previous calls and why their online form allows users to select a transfer from a monthly SIM to a PAYG. Conversely, if customer services provided incorrect information, I find myself in a situation where I have been obligated to enter into a contract against my wishes.

I appreciate your guidance.

Note: I have also sent this to OFCOM for their view on this case.

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7086 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Telling you there is a need to take out a Contract to maintain your number is quite frankly wrong.

It's a tactic that has come across from Virgin who are well know for such tactics.

OFCOM don't handle individual complaints but they do log them.

If they reply I think you will find OFCOM rules where broken.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Enlli 

As the calls are recorded and during the call I made a point of getting the customer service agent to confirm several times that it was impossible to port a Monthly Number from another provider to a PAYG, also only agreeing at the end to the contract on that basis.

I have also yet to have my old number transferred and have been without it for 4 days now.

I'll hope that the number does get transferred to the new Monthly Contract SIM so I can use it again but also going forward I will raise this with their complaints and then further down the line if they have indeed lied to me, a higher power.

Message 3 of 68

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7086 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Just to let you know that official complaints are taking around eight weeks at present. 

Once Lodged Customer Services will not help while it is ongoing

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Enlli Ultimately, I think my case will be cast iron if they have breached consumer rights and OFCOM agree. I'll take it to the Comms and Financial Ombudsman if they do not respond.

If they lose my transfer number or do not port it over, I'll also add this to the complaint along with any lack of porting support if they do not support during the complaint. Given the promise of the number porting over once I signed up to a contract I will expect support.

I have a lot of time and I love a fight when the company is so obviously in the wrong. 

Message 5 of 68

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@PaulRed 

You need to take another look at @Enlli's post above please. 

Official complaints are taking O2 about eight weeks to investigate and respond to currently, and during this period, other O2 teams will be unable or unwilling to engage with you. Hence, I suggest that you focus initially on your port and retrieving your number, and then lodge a complaint once this has been completed. 

O2's social media team are quite well thought of so I suggest that you try to message O2 on social media :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

A complete schedule of how to contact O2 is in :-

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Once you have completed your port and have retrieved your number, please update this thread and we can provide any guidance that you need on your complaint. 

Message 6 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian Already submitted.

I was coerced into signing a contract I did not want and as part of that I was guaranteed that my number would be ported if I signed up to said contract.

This is all recorded 

If the number does not port, then this just adds fuel to the fire.

I can live without my number and simply switch accounts to another number if I have too.

It is more important to me to call O2 out on misleading customers and coercing them into to signing up to a long term contract when they do not have too.

They have 8 weeks to respond by law. After which I'll take this to both Ombudsman and ultimately this will cost O2 money and if the number does not port even though they have it in their system as it is no longer with Three, then they will also have a large compensation claim.

Message 7 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian and @Enlli I would also argue that by law as I am paying for a service under a contract and despite the complaint, they cannot refuse to help a paying customer.

If they do, then I am sure the Ombudsman will have something to say about it. 

I'll find out next week and update this thread as the case goes on. 

Message 8 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian and @Enlli I would also add that O2 customer support are completley useless having dealt with them all week. So if they refuse to help, this will be no different to what they normally do.

On top of that, they lied to me and coerced me into a 12 month contract. 

It does not stop.at O2 when it comes to terrible customer support, all mobile providers are the same. It is unacceptable and we should not have to put up with it. 

Message 9 of 68

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

Please do keep us updated on developments @PaulRed

Message 10 of 68