Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was I misled? PAC / Porting my number to O2 from Three

PaulRed
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would like to get your opinions on an issue I have encountered during the recent transfer of my Three Mobile number  (Monthly contract) to an O2 PAYG SIM  on Tuesday, 5th March.

Following the use of a PAC code through O2's transfer form on Tuesday 5th March, my Three SIM was disconnected the next day; however, the intended number porting to O2 did not occur. Despite multiple calls to O2 customer services, where they resubmitted the PAC code and advised patience, I was then informed on Friday, 8th March, that it is purportedly impossible to transfer a Pay Monthly SIM from another provider to a PAYG SIM. Consequently, I was told I needed to take out a contract with O2 for a minimum of 12 months.

Feeling compelled due to the PAC code already being in O2's system and unusable elsewhere, I reluctantly subscribed to a contract to retain my old number. 

Since initiating the PAC code transfer and since Wednesday, 6th March, at 12 noon, I have been without my number. My primary concern is whether O2 was accurate in stating that a Pay Monthly SIM cannot be transferred to a PAYG SIM. Was I possibly misled or provided with inaccurate information to coerce me into committing to a 12-month contract?

I eagerly await your opinions in clarifying this matter. If O2's assertion is correct, I am perplexed as to why this information was not conveyed during the six previous calls and why their online form allows users to select a transfer from a monthly SIM to a PAYG. Conversely, if customer services provided incorrect information, I find myself in a situation where I have been obligated to enter into a contract against my wishes.

I appreciate your guidance.

Note: I have also sent this to OFCOM for their view on this case.

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian Just an update. Contract Sim arrived.

Called O2 to find out status of porting to be told a request was never made during the coereced order. This is despite going through this several times with the O2 customer agent on Friday.

Spent 1 hour 15 mins on the phone and they submitted again and was asked to wait 24 hours.

I do now have an email confirming the request though which is a first and  which could be light at the end of the tunnel.

I do not think I have ever come across this level of service before.

Can I ask why you guys hang around supporting them freely with your time?

Message 11 of 68

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10630 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

@PaulRed 

Because they are not bad where I am, and have always had issues sorted out, and I also manage a lot of devices on the enterprise side.. 
Also its good to share 20 years of working with o2 as part of my job and being a customer, as well as working selling mobile a looooonng time ago.. 

And this forum makes up less than 0.0001% of cusytomers most of whom have no issues..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 68

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Facts, not opinion.....

In pay-monthly mobile customers, O2 took the most complaints (6 per 100,000) followed by BT Mobile and Three with 4 and 5, respectively. 

Virgin Media O2 receives most complaints in Ofcom survey  | Total Telecom

Jan 26, 2024

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 13 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh and @MI5 What are your thoughts then on the tactics to get customers to sign up to a contract, stating it will be the only way to keep my part ported number?

I run a hosting compamy so I know how important customer service is so I only base my opinions on experience and the past week has been possibly the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered.

This may have been partly saved by the 9th customer service rep today if my number ports over tomorrow.

I am however still stuck in a coerced contract beyond that. 

Message 14 of 68

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10630 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

@PaulRed 

Typical Virgin Sales tactic that has been going on for many years which has sadly passed onto the o2 side, as VM Sales are very driven by sales commission... 

Still leaves 99,994 per 100K who dont complain to OFCOM or the ADR and then most of that number will never have any need to speak to Customer Service or whose issues are resolved first time... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 15 of 68

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Typical fat cat money grabbing tactics @PaulRed 

Complaints on here along have increased 10 fold in the last 12 months and getting more every day.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 16 of 68

jonsie
  • 93268 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

That is completely out of order and all sorts of wrong

If there was any benefit to the porting issue then it is something no one on here knows about

The only benefit would seem to be with the adviser earning commision by locking you in to O2 for 12 months

You think you've had enough of them now then wait for a few months of slow data speeds, connection issues and of course problems with My O2

And for God's sake don't buy an Apple watch

Message 17 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie I won't be hanging around but will cost them time and money in return for the grief I had and if they do not provide a satisfactory solution. 

I can survive 12 months with poor connections as I was with Three before.

I am not sure there are any good networks anymore.

Message 18 of 68

jonsie
  • 93268 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

MVNO's such as Tesco seem to have much better service than the big boys now

Message 19 of 68

PaulRed
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just an update on this case. After getting on to a chat session last night (Tuesday 12th March 2024) The agent said that whilst the porting was processing, they would need to send this to the backend team and this will then take between 5 and 10 working days to look at / or possibly resolve.

A ticket was raised by the agent so I can only hope.

At present, I have been without my number since Wednesday 6th March 2024 and stuck in a contract that I did not want with a number that is not mine and I do not see a light at the end of the tunnel on this one other than giving up on the number and taking the complaint to the Ombudsmen once I either get a response or they do not reply within 8 weeks seeking compensation etc.

I will let you know the outcome and if I ever get my number back. 

Message 20 of 68