Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Wi-Fi disappeared from London Underground

Mikemike
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I have noticed Virgin Wi-Fi disappeared from London Underground stations. I tried to Wi-Fi Extra sadly it does not connect me and I don't know how to connect.

Anyone has the same issue?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144990 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@Mikemike 

Virgin have closed down all their wifi hotspots.

4g is being rolled out on the underground to compensate for this but it's not everywhere yet.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 144990 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@Mikemike 

Virgin have closed down all their wifi hotspots.

4g is being rolled out on the underground to compensate for this but it's not everywhere yet.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10283 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@Mikemike 

There is supposed to be WiFi provided by BAI, but looking across all networks it seems to be a shambles. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 13

Mikemike
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So why o2 tech support says to connect to virgin media? I had calls with several people and all advise me to connect to virgin. The last person was arguing with me saying that I'm wrong and virgin media is still working. I asked for WiFi extra she told me this will only work if there is too much 4G or 3G connections and the network decides to connect me. When I told her there is no 3G or 4G in the underground stations, she told me that WiFi extra is available only on tube stations above the ground where there is 3G and 4G reception. When I told her there is WiFi extra on underground stations where there's no 3G or 4G she told me I'm wrong and to connect to virgin WiFi. Looks like I'm seeing WiFi that are not there and cannot see WiFi that is there.

Message 4 of 13

Mikemike
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah could not make it work. 

Message 5 of 13

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6784 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1519 Solutions

Virgin Media WiFi on the Underground closed down on the 29th March with them failing to inform even their own support staff.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 144990 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions

@Mikemike 

All VM customers were informed in an email.

Typical of VM to not communicate internally though.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

Mikemike
  • 11 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why o2 technical support hasn't been informed?

Message 8 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10283 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@Mikemike 

Because the part of Virgin Media that owned the service , - Virgin Media Business didn't tell anyone outside of that Business Unit, Internally or Externally

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 13

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36443 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1621 Solutions

VM Users were also advised on the rear of the letter that told them about this year's RPI increase, @Mikemike:

PXL_20230305_174920491.jpg

Message 10 of 13