Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an O2 SIM in mobile broadband router

Graeme1205
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I live in a rural area and BT broadband was very poor so I opted for Three mobile broadband and router. The Three coverage seems to have changed and I had to look for an alternative. I opted for an O2 SIM (unlimited data and minutes) as I was told that this would work with mobile broadband. I use the SIM in my Three router (ZTE MF286D) and this can work for hours or days but then freezes (i.e. flashing blue data light goes solid and I lose connection until I switch off and on again). Not sure if this means a faulty router or if it's an incompatibility issue. Do I need to buy an 'unlocked' router and can anyone suggest one that is reasonably priced? I think ideally I need an ethernet port to link an extender to provide coverage throughout my home. Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

fowlerluke2023
Level 1: Joiner
  • 37 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

if o2 are not allowing sims to be used in certain devices this needs to be reported to ofcom because it is a breach of net neutrality rules. net neutrality rules require that mobile networks do not restrict choice of device

Message 11 of 14

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6909 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1544 Solutions

Well off you pop and report it then.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 12 of 14

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10362 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3043 Solutions

@fowlerluke2023 

VMo2 are allowed to traffic manage any user they deem to be abusing the network, and using excessive amounts of data, and this is set out in S9 of the regulations...

And when people mention OFCOM (Office of Comedy) I laugh as they are more toothless than OFWAT... and they are in the pockets of industry... so no point complaining to them, they will tell you to sod off anyway...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 13 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@fowlerluke2023 

VMo2 are allowed to traffic manage any user they deem to be abusing the network, and using excessive amounts of data, and this is set out in S9 of the regulations...

And when people mention OFCOM (Office of Comedy) I laugh as they are more toothless than OFWAT... and they are in the pockets of industry... so no point complaining to them, they will tell you to sod off anyway...

Quite!

Not sure of the source of the info (or  the validity) of the insight offered  by @fowlerluke2023 

Perhaps back up or stop being silly

Message 14 of 14