Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlatching code for an out of contract device

davidst
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, hopefully someone can actually help rather than just linking to the support article for unlocking a device.

My wife has been a pay monthly customer of o2 for years, but has now moved to Sky mobile for a better deal.  We requested a PAC code for her phone in order to retain the same number with Sky mobile, which arrived, and within 24 hours her contract was terminated and service removed from the sim.  We installed the new sim and the iphone is locked to the o2 network.

All attempts to use the my o2 app to request an unlock code fail, because the landing page there just says "no services or devices".  Following the instructions in the support article for unlocking a phone for use on another network does not work, when I enter the two characters from the password and the IMEI number the website respondes "oops, something went wrong".  I called customer support and got a spectacularly unhelpful member of staff who told me that the password I was using giving her was incorrect, despite the fact that I was already logged to my o2 with that password.  I'd also say the fact that the support team ask for the password is a pretty major security fail.  I've changed the password since.

I have now purchased a payg sim card and installed that and created a new my o2 account.  I was able to use the device settings menu to request an unlock code, but got an automated response telling me that the request could not be completed because the device has never been used on the o2 network.  I replied to that message asking for guidance on how to proceed, but got another automated response basically telling me to get stuffed and that email support had been terminated for this case.

To say that I'm frustrated is an understatement.  How does o2 reconcile the above with the statement that their customers can unlock their phones free of charge at any time?  Why was there no mention of the fact that my phone was locked to their network when I requested the PAC code, or why was the phone not just unlocked at that point.

The customer service I'm getting from o2 right now is diabolical.  Actually, it isn't, becuase that would suggest that I was receiveing some sort of servcie, but in fact I'm just getting stone-walled by call deflection tactics that are a disgrace.

Is there anything I can do other than top up the payg sim, use it, then re-request the unlock code?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@davidst 

You can't reset your CS password now as you will have lost access to the old MyO2 associated with that account.

You now need to top up and use the new sim you have and request the unlock through the new MyO2 once you have used the phone on O2 for a day or two.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@davidst 

You need to call customer services, and they can process this for you. 

Also since 2018, o2 havent locked any phones, but iPhones if bought from CPW where locked to the first sim used.

Your Online and CS Passwords are 2 different ones.. 

Email Customer Support was disbanded years ago..... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

davidst
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know I had a CS username / password!  Can you tell me where I request a reset on this password please?

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@davidst 

You can't reset your CS password now as you will have lost access to the old MyO2 associated with that account.

You now need to top up and use the new sim you have and request the unlock through the new MyO2 once you have used the phone on O2 for a day or two.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4