Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring playlists

Anyotherbizniz
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Sony Xperia XZ2 and am thinking of updating to the new Xperia 5 II (as it doesn't look like Sony will produce a new compact phone any time soon - shame!!).

But I have an external memory card with many thousands of songs on it in my phone. These have been playlisted into a series of playlists on the phone. Does anyone know how to transfer these playlists from the old phone to the new one? Last time I changed phone I had to redo all the playlists again. That was quite a pain. So, without being able to transfer the playlists,  I am not going to be in any hurry to udate that's for sure.

ab

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144800 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Anyotherbizniz 

Personally, I would copy them all to my PC and organise them there as it's much quicker and easier, then just copy them back to the new phone.

All Sony phones after 2019 use Google to backup so there's no guarantee that the playlists will remain in the same order after reinstalling from that, so a PC backup seems the safest way.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Anyotherbizniz
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I would do this, but how does one transfer a playlist from a pc to the phone (and vice versa)? I am not sure where they are stored on the phone.

Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 144800 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Anyotherbizniz 

Without looking on your phone I wouldn't know either, but a search through the folders in your file manager should find them, then just drag them to your PC and then back to new phone to the same location as the old one.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 16

Anyotherbizniz
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My file explorer is not finding any m3u files. I've downloaded three other file explorers to see if they can find any, but none can, even though I have made hidden files visible. Are the playlists perhaps using some other file extentsion?

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144800 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Anyotherbizniz 

Should be in either the music or media folder.

/data/data/com.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

Anyotherbizniz
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's what the sites I have been looking at online advse, But I don't have a /data/data/com folder.  I've looked and looked for it.

ab

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 144800 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

I'll call on @viridis to advise as he knows more about Sony that I do.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

Anyotherbizniz
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. I spent four hours yesterday trying to find them with no luck. 😒
Message 9 of 16

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anyotherbizniz , welcome to our community. slight_smile I just wanted to check in to see if you managed to make any additional progress with this since the 22nd when you last posted? Did you manage to locate any of those music files in the end?

Message 10 of 16