Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim only router using data when roaming

Zorro
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My O2 sim has 30Gb monthly roaming data so I have it in a Zyxel NR5101 router whilst in France. However it is using around 1Gb of data a day in excess of any actual use. Can anyone explain why and what can I do to stop it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7774 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1641 Solutions

It's 25GB max in any billing period for a maximum of 63 days

Short of putting your SIM in a phone to see if that reduces consumption to prove if it is a network or router issue, I'm not sure what to suggest

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11273 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@Zorro 

You need to check all your connections on the router, and see what devices are using the data, as it sounds like something is checking in and doing updates.. 

What I would do is go into the router and disconnect all devices and then reconnect then one by one, and just to let you know if on PAYM then your limit is actually 25GB per month and not 30GB

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 3 of 6

Zorro
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks madasaf1sh, I did all that and with no one connected it still used 1Gb a day! I have it installed back in the UK now and it's not using anything so I think it must be to do with roaming.

Message 4 of 6

Zorro
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Enlli, I tried that and with the sim in a phone it didn't use any excess data, as soon as it went back in the router, off it went again using 1Gb a day. Wierd

Message 5 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11273 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@Zorro 

It sounds like then the device was trying to do something, and failing. I would out of curiosity speak to Zyxel and get their thoughts...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 6 of 6