Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Coverage

Jasonnonetwork
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently moved to o2 from Vodafone. Before I switched I looked at the online network coverage map for the areas where I live & work. The online map showed that the coverage in my area is both good indoors and outdoors and that 4G coverage is suitable for mobile broadband. So I switched to o2 with a 40GB data package.

What a mistake!

The online network coverage map is just a bad joke (aka a complete fabrication). In all the important areas where I need my phone to work, the network is garbage. I am getting download speeds on average of just 0.16mbps - that's when I can connect at all. When I try to report the fault online, it wont let me as it says the issue is 'congestion' If I contact customer services they say that either they have checked and everything is working fine, or they say that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Well several months on, the problem still persists. Nothing has changed except for the fact that I am now out of the cooling off period.

All I want is a service that works, or to leave my contract with having to pay an early termination fee. Customer service don't want to help me with this. How do I proceed?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7921 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

Difficult one as you are now well out of the cooling off period and O2 (as all networks) have a clause in their T&C saying the don't guarantee 100% coverage all of the time.

We are all customers here so can't access accounts 

The bottom of this page may help you

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Jasonnonetwork
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Edit - that should read: WITHOUT having to pay an early termination fee.....

Message 2 of 15

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7921 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

Difficult one as you are now well out of the cooling off period and O2 (as all networks) have a clause in their T&C saying the don't guarantee 100% coverage all of the time.

We are all customers here so can't access accounts 

The bottom of this page may help you

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 15

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11576 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@Jasonnonetwork 

All network's coverage maps are a computer prediction of coverage in a perfect world, and doesnt take any consideration of things such as buildings and other landscape features. 
Vodafone's coverage map, is just as bad if not worse than o2's... 

Unfortunately the terms and conditions are quite clear o2 do not guarantee a fault free network or 100% coverage. 

Your only way out is to pay off any device plan and any termination fee's, to leave free, you would have had to do it in your first 14days, why you left it beyond that if you knew there was an issue, is your own lookout I am afraid.

When ever switching networks, you should always test coverage using the free PAYG sims, as this gives your the true answer. 

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 4 of 15

Jasonnonetwork
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In this case o2 cannot use the landscape or building excuse as the area in question is completely flat and has no buildings above 2 storey. In fact, I can stand in the middle of a field within direct sight of the mast and still get no network speed. The problem is lack of capacity on their network not interference or anything like that. It is completely unacceptable for o2 to publish a network coverage map that shows completely good coverage when this is demonstrably not true. There is a word for that and that word is fraud. 

Message 5 of 15

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11576 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@Jasonnonetwork 

So the same as I said Vodafone, EE and Three do, with their coverage maps, which as I said is a computer predication of coverage, and should be taken with a pinch of salt, so will be going after the other networks... 

At the end of the day, if you want to leave you will need to pay any device plan / termination fee's or you can go down the o2 complaint, and then if need to be taking it to CIDR and hope they side with you, but the T&C's are quite clear, and you did read, sign and agree to these terms...

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 6 of 15

Jasonnonetwork
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nowhere in the T&C's did it mention that the network coverage map is just a fabrication designed to defraud customers. I am paying for a set amount of data that I physically cannot use due to slow network speeds. They have sold me something they cannot deliver. If that is not breach of contract (or fraud) then I don't know what is. I have a sim only plan with them, so there is no reason on earth why they cannot just release me from my contract without charge since they have failed to deliver what they have sold.

Message 7 of 15

Jasonnonetwork
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

PS, I was with vodafone for 7 years and never had any network issues. Mobile internet was blazingly fast in the very same areas where o2 does not work at all. I'll be switching back to vodafone at the first opportunity, but certainly will not be paying any 'early termination' fee. 

Message 8 of 15

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23987 Posts
  • 1045 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

@Jasonnonetwork You will need to start by lodging a formal complaint: How to Complain | Help | O2

What you should have done before you switched providers was test your coverage with a Pay & Go sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 149345 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

status.PNG

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 15