Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Account

ABrun
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not an O2 customer, but I've had an O2 account fraudulently opened in my name (using an also fraudulently opened bank account). I reported this through the help desk as soon as I saw the hard search on my credit report. So far, the only correspondence I have received from O2 is two threatening letters with default notices, and have heard nothing at all about my fraud case.

Every time I speak to the help desk, I get told I need to wait for the fraud team to get back to me, and no-one can give me any information what-so-ever. I know from my credit report that someone has spent a huge amount of money in my name, but O2 don't seem to care about the stress and worry this is causing me.

When I reported this originally, why wasn't the account immediately stopped and all attempts to charge money put on hold while it was investigated? I would have happily gone into store with a pile of ID to prove I am who I say I am if holding an account is an issue. Instead I've been given a deadline of Jan 3rd to pay outstanding amounts, while being constantly told to wait for the fraud team. What do I do if this deadline arrives before they contact me? I do not want defaults against me and my credit score to be destroyed, but why should I pay for something I didn't buy?

I have so many questions around how on earth this has been allowed to happen - the fraudsters can't have had any real ID or bank cards in my name (the fraudulent bank card that first alerted me that something was wrong arrived 2 days after the O2 contract was opened). However, I'm really bothered by the lack of support O2 are providing. I've been left completely in the dark, and it is impossible to get to speak to someone on the fraud team who might actually be able to help, or at least help set my mind at ease a little. The help desk agents do try to help, but they can't actually tell me anything. Until I got these default notices today, the only information I've been able to see is through my credit report.

Very frustrated and stressed right now 😞

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Chandler
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 are simply just a waste of time , they do not belong to any fraud prevention like Cifas, do not protect customers or take any action to support or investigate any fraudulent activities reported to them.

Message 11 of 13

Chandler
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Why report to ActionFraud when they only come back to say the the use of another person’s identity, often referred to as identity theft, is not a police recordable crime. Where the details are used to obtain goods or services, we can only record a crime on behalf of the person or organisation which was defrauded as a result of the misuse of an identity. So if O2 dont report it ,which they dont as they are useless then nothing happens and you get no help or support

Message 12 of 13

Chandler
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Reporting to Actionfraud is not the solution , O2 need to do something, remove the solution mark and do something

Message 13 of 13