Did you mean: 

E-Sim Swap keeps failing

Bobajobbob
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Afternoon all

I requested an eSim pack in order to Swap my physical SIM to an ESIM so that I can then add another physical SIM to the device for work calls etc.

Unfortunately despite following the instructions precisely I am unable to complete the Swap. Perhaps someone can assist as O2 support doesn't work at weekends.

To recap on what I've done so far.

• Requested and was sent ESIM Pack
  • I added the ESIM to my iPhone14Pro using the QR code
  • It spent a few minutes activating but now shows as ON albeit without number
  • I then went to the o2 Simswap website and selected the relevant phone number to swap (as I have a few numbers on my account for kids)
  • It sent me a text and an authorisation code
  • I entered the code 
  • I entered the SSN from the back of the ESIM pack
  • Website throws up an error "Sorry Simswap hasn't worked, please try again or call 202"
  • Ive tried again a number of times and every time the same error.

I guess I will have to call 202 tomorrow but just wondered if anyone had successfully completed this process on an iPhone.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bobajobbob
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Final update to this. I thought I'd give it one final try ignoring the instructions on the esim pack and following instead the SMS process that starts when you order an esim and I was successful!

For anyone interested the following process worked for me.

1. Order ESIM Pack
  2. When you do this you will receive an email telling you to text 2020 to initiate the Swap process
  3. When the esim pack arrives ignore the instructions on the pack
  4. Text 2020
  5. On receipt of security Code reply with code
  6. Automated message will now ask for the new SSN number that can be found on the ESIM pack
  7. Send the SSN number
  8. You will then receive an SMS saying that the new SIM will be active soon and when old stops working new one will be good
  9. At this point scan the QR code on the esim pack and add the Esim to your phone
  10. It will then go through an activation process which takes a while
  11. 10 minutes or so later the new esim became active, the old sim stopped working and the transition was complete. 
  12. Job done. Shame that o2 help don't appear to know how this works or how to make it work. Esim packs need to be reprinted to remove the process involving the web site that doesn't work.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23539 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3747 Solutions

@Bobajobbob You can try to reach O2 via social media. Not sure if anyone is available at this time on a Sunday:
Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB), Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW), or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146984 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions

@Bobajobbob 

I'll ask @O2Sarah to help in the morning.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 18

Bobajobbob
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks, responses over Twitter are so slow that its not even worth trying at this time on a  sunday. I'll try and call 202 in the morning. One detail I didn't mention above is that this is my second ESIM pack. The first one simply didn't add to the phone at all and threw up an error before being added to the phone. I called 202 at that point and after 30 minutes of them trying to make progress they gave up and suggested sending a second ESIM pack which is the one I am trying to action now.

This process is obviously not that robust.

Message 4 of 18

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

@O2Sarah- is on Monday morning, @Bobajobbob - keep an eye on your PMs after 8am in the morning 👍

Message 5 of 18

O2Sarah-
  • 689 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @pgn  

@Bobajobbob  I will send you a private message so we can look into this for you

Message 6 of 18

Bobajobbob
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks, checking PMs now

Message 7 of 18

Bobajobbob
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hopefully Sarah will be able to help me with this but just to provide some more colour on how broken this process is I received a text this morning from O2 asking me first to confirm a code and then provide my SSN in order to action the swap.

Great I thought maybe this was triggered by the errors over the weekend.

I provided the code and then it asked me for the new SSN. I typed this in but it simply refused to send. No matter how many times I sent it I get the failed to send message. At this point I gave up and resolved to speak on the phone to 202 later.

30 mins later however I get a nagging text telling me to send SWAP again to 20220 and asking why I havent responded. Great I think. Ill try again so I send SWAP to 20220 and receive a reply saying "sorry only one attempt allowed per day. Try again tomorrow".

You couldnt make it up really. Anyway hopefully Sarah or 202 will resolve this later.

Message 8 of 18

Bobajobbob
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Still no resolution to this after a week or more. I would have to caution anyone against trying to migrate from a physical SIM to an ESIM on O2 at the moment because it simply doesn't work.

Message 9 of 18

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37253 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

@Bobajobbob wrote:

Still no resolution to this after a week or more. I would have to caution anyone against trying to migrate from a physical SIM to an ESIM on O2 at the moment because it simply doesn't work.

@O2Emma is just about to come on-shift, @Bobajobbob - if you are still banging your head off a brick wall?  

Message 10 of 18