Did you mean: 

Data sharing between devices

antmills
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I currently have an iPhone with 90gb of data a month allocation. I also have a cellular iPad on my account with a 500mb allocation (both on same account) and would like to be able to share data between the two (which the website suggests I can do) but am having trouble, when I go to shared data in my o2 it shows that the iPhone plan can share but doesn't let me setup the iPad plan to take advantage of that. 
I called into an O2 store and wac told that thus might be because I didn't request it when the iPad was setup on my account - however, nothing at the time of ordering the iPad said that I had to or needed to etc.

What are my options at this point to allow this - without tethering to the iPhone. 
thanks

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149973 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@antmills @Ghengus1 

The only way to share the data is to change the tariff on the device you want to share to.

This won't effect the data you have on lead device, but will on the slave as it will only use data from the lead device.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Ghengus1
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm having the same problem but with two mobile phones on the same account. Both are listed under view shared data as though they are both able to share but there is no option to set up sharing or link the two.
Message 2 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 126410 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

@Ghengus1 @antmills 

Have you followed the advice in this link? https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans 

If you need help you could pop instore or contact O2 on any number in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:

If you call 202, when it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.

Press 2 for Everything Else

Press 5 for More Options

Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.

Also, press Fraud or Lost and Stolen if given that option.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 149973 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@antmills @Ghengus1 

As long as your phones or phone and iPad are close by you can turn on your hotspot to share data by tethering.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 13

Ghengus1
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Tried but no option to tick boxes and no option to set up from main account menu. Yet when I go into view shared data both devices and data are listed under devices with data and able to share.
Message 5 of 13

Ghengus1
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Oh and the phones won't be close so personal hotspot is a no go and one has no data at all.
Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 126410 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

So you need to pop instore or call O2 for help @Ghengus1 (as posted above)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 149973 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@Ghengus1 wrote:
Tried but no option to tick boxes and no option to set up from main account menu. Yet when I go into view shared data both devices and data are listed under devices with data and able to share.

@Ghengus1 

That just means that they are capable of sharing data but the one you want to share to has to be set to a sharer plan tariff.

You'll need to ask customer service to change the tariff over for you Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Or advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:
If you call 202, when it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say "Upgrade", "Lost/Stolen" or "Fraud" if you have to, to get put through to someone.

Message 8 of 13

antmills
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 the devices aren't always close by hence I'm trying to do this without tethering

@Cleoriff ive followed that guide but can't work out if both devices need to be on 1gb+ plan or only the lead device. My iPhone is already setup as a lead device - I just can't get the iPad to access the shared data so to speak.... if I upgrade the iPad to a 1gb+ contract should that make it work? 

Message 9 of 13

Ghengus1
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks but when I look online at changing tariff to a sharer plan I will lose 30GB of data or have to pay more (because it was promotional data) and even then it says the tariff won't change until 16th October so one phone will still have no data for the rest of this month.
Message 10 of 13