Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops during download...

rpw54
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been using O2 mobile broadband for about 5 years at 3 different locations. I've just moved and the service is now poor despite having good signal strength. Download speeds of around 2-3Mbps, upload is faster at around 6Mbps.

The specific problem is that during download of a, not very big (c.200MB), file the connection keeps dropping. My router will recover but it makes for an frustrating experience. Anything I can do to improve the resilience ?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23669 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3752 Solutions

@rpw54 Have you tried Pay & Go sims from any other providers? As you've recently moved you may get  better coverage from one of them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10895 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3121 Solutions

@rpw54 

Your only option is to look at options such as an external aerial that can be used to enhance the signal strength, 

It could be that the mast you are connected to is either in a congested area.

Have a look at these guides Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 7

japitts
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 153 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@rpw54 wrote:

I've just moved and the service is now poor despite having good signal strength.

The specific problem is that during download of a, not very big (c.200MB), file the connection keeps dropping.. Anything I can do to improve the resilience ?

If the signal strength is good, that's not the issue and thus improving that by using an external antenna or additional height on your antenna is unlikely to directly assist.

Data speeds will only be improved by either having less users connected to your serving site, or adding capacity to the serving site - neither of which you can impact. Do the speeds improve towards the evening and/or weekends?

An external antenna may improve things if it allows coverage from a more distant site that has spare capacity - assuming your router attempts a connection rather than preferring the closer carrier.

Message 3 of 7

Bambino
  • 23669 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3752 Solutions

@rpw54 Have you tried Pay & Go sims from any other providers? As you've recently moved you may get  better coverage from one of them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

rpw54
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks everyone, did some cell coverage research and will try one of the 3 MVNOs. I'm out of contract with O2

Message 5 of 7

japitts
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 153 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@rpw54 wrote:

Thanks everyone, did some cell coverage research and will try one of the 3 MVNOs.

An MVNO means a virtual operator, who piggyback on one of the 3 MNO (Mobile Netwok Operator).

There would be little point looking at O2-MVNO's, you need to be comparing with another MNO - EE, 3UK or VF.

Message 6 of 7

Bambino
  • 23669 Posts
  • 1041 Topics
  • 3752 Solutions

@rpw54 If you do decide to change providers and want to keep your number, see this guide: 

Cancelling your contract - An updated guide - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 7