Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abroad

EJ3
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I landed in Rhodes (Greece) on Wednesday and had a welcome text to say I can use all my data, texts and calls for no extra cost. However since going over to the other side of the hotel which is on the beach opposite the turkey island, I have had a welcome text for Turkey and I am now being charged £6 a day. But I am not in turkey I am in Rhodes and shouldn’t be getting charged. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Spenny
Level 16: Talkative
  • 340 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

I suspect @EJ3 that even though you are physically in Rhodes, from where you are on the beach opposite the turkey island, your phone has connected to the cell tower in Turkey.  When you go back to the other side of the hotel is your phone back in Greece?

Phone: Motorola G100, 128GB, Android 12, SIMO 20Gb
Broadband: Virgin 350Mb, Tp-Link Router - Deco S4
-----------------------------------------------------------------
We are a community of customers and cannot access your account.
To contact O2 click here for O2 Social Media Links
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@EJ3 

o2 don't know that, all o2 know is that you have connected to a Turkish Network, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure YOUR phone connects only to the Greek networks, this can be done by manually selecting the Greek Network, and not using automatically join. 

Unfortunately you are liable for these charges and o2 cant do anything about it.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@EJ3 

Switch to manual in your network settings and choose the Greek network. 

This will stop your phone trying to connect to any Turkish network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4