Did you mean: 

ALSO Having issues with Data Roaming in New York City

Chris0907
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi there,

I am currently on a US trip to New York, and have issues very similar to those described by @Dee25 in this thread: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Tech-Support/Data-Roaming-in-New-York-US/m-p/1570495#M24371

I am using a Google Pixel 3 with Android.

This is the behaviour I am encountering:

• I turn on the phone (or restart it, I've been restarting my phone several times every few hours)
  • It briefly (for 5-60 seconds) connects to 4G or 4G+ on T-Mobile
  • It disconnects and goes either to EDGE or EDGE connectivity with a little "!" to indicate there's no connection

After spending about half an hour yesterday with the Customer Support at O2, I have:

•  Reset my internet and connectivity settings (losing all my WiFi passwords and Bluetooth connections in the process) - Had 4G internet for about 4 hours until it went back to the above behaviour
  • Tried turning off and on Airplane mode - no results
  • Tried turning off and on Roaming, as well as data connectivity - no results
  • Tried manually using the Verizon or AT&T networks - the connections get denied

I have specifically moved to O2 to get Roaming in the US and so far this is severely disappointing, it's useless to pay a lot of money monthly for something you can't use. 

In the thread above, MI5 mentions that US Roaming is limited to 500kbps. While I have seen that to be true while the 4G is active and working, this is not my issue. My issue is that the connection is stuck on EDGE with no connectivity. No data is coming through - emails, messaging, maps all indicate there's no connection. I WISH it would be stuck at 500kbps instead of 0. 

I have also found another very useful thread describing this EXACT issue for PlusNet users, only in Europe. They seem to have solved it SOMEHOW although no details are given, after 20 pages of talking to support. 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Unable-to-access-4G-services-whilst-roaming/td-p/1860515

Please help. 

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris0907
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

After day 3 of having issues, here was my solution (which is a workaround and to no credit to O2):

• When in Manhattan/Brooklyn, use the LinkNYC Free WiFi - it's free and works well enough to use for Maps and messaging - so I can figure out where I'm going and keep my family in the loop that I'm safe. Most big stores (Target, Trader Joe, McDonalds) also have free WiFi if you can find them if you just need to check things
  • I paid $50 and got on Google Fi for one month, and now I have LTE connectivity, can hotspot my partnet for 5GB and have access to 50GB of data myself

As I mentioned, these are not O2 solutions, but if you're stuck in the same situation as myself and the other folks here, and can afford the extra $50, it's the best solution. Long term, O2 needs to sort its stuff out so their customers don't end up needing to spend a ton more money due to their broken promises. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124174 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Chris0907 

*Make sure mobile data and data roaming is turned on in your settings

* Manually search for another network

* If you have an iPhone change your data APN to "mobile.o2.co.uk"

* Try toggling Airplane mode on/off (it often helps kickstart things)

* Drop down to 3G and see if that helps.

* Contact O2 to see if there are any roaming bars on the account

If you message O2 on Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram ( https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 19

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23501 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3746 Solutions

@Chris0907 Your connectivity issues are not likely to improve. Best bet is to use free WiFi hotspots, of which there are many in NYC, but I would suggest using a VPN with it to stay secure. Also use WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger over WiFi to call others who also have those apps.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 19

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7093 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

The Plusnet issue was resolved when they decided they had to open up 4G roaming when the likes of Germany closed down 3G and others were to follow this year.

O2 do have 4G roaming but are at the mercy of the roaming network as to what they will offer at any given time and place 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 19

Chris0907
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Cleoriff, 

If you read my original post, you will see I have done all of the above, with no resolution to my issues. 

Message 5 of 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124174 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Chris0907 

I wasn't sure whether you had checked your APN or contacted O2 about a Roaming bar? (as you didn't mention either of those)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 19

Wicko172
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve just returned from six days in New York and experienced exactly the same issues as Chris0907, being unable to hold 4/5G.  I exchanged messages and spoke with an Agent trying the same suggestions to resolve the issue without success.  I was left being told the issue was with my iPhone 13 and not my O2 account that had no restrictions

I’m planning to discuss this again with O2 now I’m back in the UK, as I also specifically selected a SIM with USA roaming.

I have also now noticed in another post that unless you have a business tariff that O2 limit you to 0.5mbps in the USA?  If correct this isn’t something O2 mentioned.

Message 7 of 19

Chris0907
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Heya,

Yup, I checked with O2 about the roaming bar - that's not the issue, as I still get 4G connectivity in the 30-60 second spurts, and I have no issues with texting or calling back home.

Then, as I have an Android phone, I don't have APN access - the APN is iPhones only as far as I could see from the previous solutions and not finding anything that mentions APN in my phone Settings. 

Message 8 of 19

Chris0907
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I agree, we are 3 people so far with the same issue on this forum. We should try to write to O2 in an email/letter and see about a resolution. As I mentioned, I specifically chose this tariff for the US roaming, and switched to O2 from Vodafone for this as well. 

Message 9 of 19

Chris0907
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

After day 3 of having issues, here was my solution (which is a workaround and to no credit to O2):

• When in Manhattan/Brooklyn, use the LinkNYC Free WiFi - it's free and works well enough to use for Maps and messaging - so I can figure out where I'm going and keep my family in the loop that I'm safe. Most big stores (Target, Trader Joe, McDonalds) also have free WiFi if you can find them if you just need to check things
  • I paid $50 and got on Google Fi for one month, and now I have LTE connectivity, can hotspot my partnet for 5GB and have access to 50GB of data myself

As I mentioned, these are not O2 solutions, but if you're stuck in the same situation as myself and the other folks here, and can afford the extra $50, it's the best solution. Long term, O2 needs to sort its stuff out so their customers don't end up needing to spend a ton more money due to their broken promises. 

Message 10 of 19