Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G gone......

Bill_C
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It finally happened looks like...3G (rural Mid-Wales) is gone.

I logged a fault yesterday...and O2 came back with the "Could not find a fault" today.

So I checked my Network connections and sure enough only 2G available (same with Vodafone - the only other network available in my area).

The question is wasn't users in my area notified by O2?

We know that O2 3G will be gone by 2025...but why not let customers know about this beforehand?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7108 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

I was not aware that O2 are closing 3G as yet. From the start of 2025 was the given date.

Vodafone, on the other hand, have closed 3G.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 10

Bill_C
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep.

Fortunately I have a 4G backup.

The 2025 date was most likely a deadline for complete shutdown....it will be done in stages leaving Rural areas for last (same with Vodafone).

Message 3 of 10

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7108 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

Not according to O2. This is their blurb

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/3g-switch-off

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146940 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

@Bill_C 

Keep checking here as recent faults sometimes take a while to update O2 | Service Status

Also check the app https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 10

Bill_C
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the feedback folks...but it is NOT a Service fault issue....and I doubt it is a phone fault.

Both Vodafone and O2 use the same antenna....and until yesterday (for the past 10+years) both of them also provided 3G.

They both disappeared from my Network at the same time. Now both of them only 2G and 4G.

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 146940 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Maybe they started early then.

If they did, no one has told us here.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10631 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

@Bill_C 

They dont use the same antenna, they use the same mast, but each has distinct infrastructure on the mast provided by CTIL (if I remember)...  

There are small scale trials of removing 3G but I havent seen any enterprise customer notifications of anywhere been done as yet... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 10

japitts
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 133 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Bill_C wrote:

Both Vodafone and O2 use the same antenna

I very much doubt it, unless you happen to be using one of the few original "single grid" sites that's not yet been "unwound". Site sharing is a very complex subject, with numerous permutations - but it's quite a common scenario for multiple operators to have their own active equipment (antennas & radio modules) on the same tower or structure.

CTIL, as mentioned by another poster, is the management company for the shared grid of sites that VF & O2 once used for active RAN sharing.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 146940 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

O2 have given us this info in relation to this.

From what has been outlined, there was a small trial conducted earlier this year to switch off these (very small) sites but aside from that nothing is planned until next year:

70520    Quixwood

70593    Preston Plantation

2930       GRANTSHOUSE

2931       AUCHENCROW

70515    Horseley Farm

70516    RESTON

70517    Horseley Hill

70518    GRANTHOUSE

70519    BUTTERDEAN FARM

70521    PENRITH

70522    BOWSHIEL

70523    TOWNHEAD FARM

236         DUNBAR SOUTH

237         AYTON

8294       LAMBERTON

10582    BURNMOUTH

10583    LAWFIELD

39293    CHIRNSIDE TOWN

70512    Burnmouth-Lamberton

70513    NEWTON BRAE FOULDEN

70514    Coldingham - Whitecross

70524    Cove - Linhead Farm

70525    Pathhead Farm

74674    Eyemouth

Message 10 of 10