cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my pay monthly phone has been stolen do i still have to pay for it?

Anonymous
Not applicable
so my contracts 24months long ,im about my 3 month in , and my phone has been lost/stolen , i wont be buying a new phone , for this contract for i dont know what to do , should i refuse to pay or what thanks slight_smile
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You are kidding, right??

Whether you decide to buy another phone or not, you are legally bound to pay for the remainder of the length of the contract. This can be done simply by paying the monthly tariff as normal oy paying the lump sum ie. number of months remaining multiplied by your monthly tariff.

Do not cancel the direct debit or any other method you pay by.

All that will happen is that the debt will be passed on a collection agency and will be recorded on your credit file. This will affect you for years to come and you won't be able to get credit such as mortgages anywhere.

Do you have insurance? Sometimes a home policy or a bank account insures single personal items.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You are kidding, right??

Whether you decide to buy another phone or not, you are legally bound to pay for the remainder of the length of the contract. This can be done simply by paying the monthly tariff as normal oy paying the lump sum ie. number of months remaining multiplied by your monthly tariff.

Do not cancel the direct debit or any other method you pay by.

All that will happen is that the debt will be passed on a collection agency and will be recorded on your credit file. This will affect you for years to come and you won't be able to get credit such as mortgages anywhere.

Do you have insurance? Sometimes a home policy or a bank account insures single personal items.

Message 2 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Excellent answer from jonsie, you can easily pick up a cheap handset and get O2 to send you a replacement sim, the handset you lost is not part of the contract, and the fact you've lost it does not affect your contract which still must be paid for.

Refusal to pay will be very painful, for you!

I'm surprised you're even asking this question, do you fully understand what "contract" means?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
You must also make sure that you have reported the loss/theft to both the police and to O2. If you haven't, you will be responsible for the charges incurred by whoever found/stole your phone which could be considerable. This isn't something that you can just walk away from because you don't have your phone any more. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there's more to the OP's post than meets the eye. Take a look at his post in this thread: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/new-phone-delivery/td-p/249327

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Good spot! The OP is either very naive or trying to be too clever for their own good.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
so if i dont like my phone im now sneaky , go be a detective somewhere else :L
Message 6 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

That isn't what was written, but you do get 14 days to change your mind if you don't like it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You have 3 different posts in 3 threads.

1. You had the phone delivered but don't like it

2. You had the phone stolen

3. How can you get out of your contract without charges?

Don't know what to read into all that.

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
so wheres this post about me having my phone delivered , my phone was delivered 3-4 months ago and ive been on this website 2-3 days , so haha no , i made a comment i didnt like the phone its my choice if i dont like the phone
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

You have 3 different posts in 3 threads.

1. You had the phone delivered but don't like it

2. You had the phone stolen

3. How can you get out of your contract without charges?

Don't know what to read into all that.

also i mentioned in both posts my phone was stolen want the CRN do you ?
Message 10 of 12