Did you mean: 

iMessage not working after number transfer

SammyxVine
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I transferred my number from giffgaff to O2 and everything seems to be working fine except iMessage. I have tried restarting the phone several times, turning iMessage and FaceTime on and off again. I have checked my phone number is correct on settings-phone-my number and the number displayed is correct.
I moved from Vodafone to giffgaff recently before joining O2 and had no issues with iMessage not working.

I’ve tried calling O2 and they’ve been so unhelpful. They told me to speak to Apple. I’ve called Apple and they said the problem lies with O2. Any ideas what the issue is?

I rely on iMessage for work so if it can’t be sorted can I get my PAC code from O2 and move to another network, or will this cause more issues with my number? I don’t want to lose my mobile number as I’ve had it for years.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

SammyxVine
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Tried network reset and still not working. It states ‘an error occurred during activation’. I guess a new sim is my last option.

Message 11 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Seems most likely at this point @SammyxVine 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 21

SammyxVine
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Should I contact Apple or should I wait to get a new Sim tomorrow? Like I said my iMessage has always been working, and worked when I transferred my number over from Vodafone to giffgaff. The problem has only occurred when transferring my number the day before yesterday from giffgaff to O2.

Message 13 of 21

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@SammyxVine 

It's unlikely to be anything that Apple could help with.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 21

SammyxVine
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When I go to the O2 store, do I ask for a blank SIM card and take it home or ask them to do a sim swap?

Message 15 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122811 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Personally I would ask them to do it @SammyxVine 

That way, it's usually all swapped over before you leave the store. Remember to take some ID.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 21

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@SammyxVine 

Entirely your choice.

If you want to do it yourself a guide is here Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

Currently using:
Message 17 of 21

SammyxVine
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good news. I went the O2 store and did a sim swap. Like you predicted, my iMessage and FaceTime are now working again! Thanks for all your help.

What went wrong in the first place I wonder? Was the first Sim faulty?

Message 18 of 21

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@SammyxVine 

Good to hear.

The problem was the sim had a different number written to it so was causing a conflict.

This was fixed by having a blank sim to start fresh.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 21

CMO
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve just had the same issue after moving from EE to o2 and using a PAC code to change numbers. Resetting the network settings fixed it for me thank you slight_smile

• Go to Settings – General – Transfer or Reset iPhone – Reset
  • Choose Reset Network Settings
Message 20 of 21