cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high data usage overnight

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just changed from 500mb of data to 100mb. My monthly usage is usually just below 100Mb. In the first week on new tariff I used nearly 100MB, and when I look at information about my actual data usage I see this is due to automatic downloads of (possibly) app updates round about midnight, when I was asleep.

But this didn't happen before so I wonder if 02 had to update something? I haven't added any new apps so I can't see why there would be sudden unusual usage. Obviously I can turn off the data package when not using it myself, but would rather not. 

Any ideas, beyond careful monitoring of data usage ( a nuisance to have to do this)

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

You haven't said what kind of phone you have, but if it's an Android phone, instead of removing the apps you have, you can manage them with an app like this. It's free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.taskmanager&feature=search_result#?t=W25...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I close down my apps regularly and use airplane mode on a night, so no data etc is used but obviously that means i don't receive calls but thats my choice.

Its not likely that 02 are doing anything. As you've already said its probably a background app downloading updates.

Im amazed you can get by on a 100mb data package.
I come close to 1gb per month and would like a 2gb upgrade !

Message 2 of 26

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The data used is updated by O2 at midnight each day.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 26

Bambino
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

As you've opted for such a small amount of data, the only way to ensure you are not using any is to either put the phone in airplane mode, as bandofbrothers suggests, or go into settings and turn off your data. A couple of taps on your phone can't be that much of a nuisance.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of taps is not a nuisance, I agree, but actually going in and monitoring data use takes more time. I don't agree that data usage is recorded at midnight every day, that isn't what the record shows. I would like some way of finding out what the massive download was at 20 past midnight on 25 Feb, just two days after I changed my contract, sorry if that seems extremely fussy! 

Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you close down apps? I thought they were closed down when the Task manager shows no active applications. Is that so?

Just discovered that if I use 'settings', then 'applications' then 'Running services' it shows a number of services running with the possibility 'tap to stop' . This is even with package data turned off. Can you help?

Message 6 of 26

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

It is not a massive download at midnight but the total for the last days data usage

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK got it. I was confused because the summary of last day's downloads comes at different times. But now I understand that.

So now I still want to manage my apps better so that they don't automatically update. Perhaps I should remove all apps I don't often use?

Message 8 of 26

Bambino
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

You haven't said what kind of phone you have, but if it's an Android phone, instead of removing the apps you have, you can manage them with an app like this. It's free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.taskmanager&feature=search_result#?t=W25...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK thanks, sounds good. Have got that now. This is a REALLY stupid question, but ... what does 'kill' mean?

Message 10 of 26