cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gps

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

can anyone tell me if charges are made for using gps based travel maps ie tomtom etc, if my data was switched off and I just had my gps on would I be charged, this applies to using gps maps in Europe

thanks

derek55

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your data is switched off then I wouldn't imagine you would be charged for GPS. I don't think GPS passes anything other than a signal over the cellular network (to better determine where you are).

Just make sure you have the necessary maps downloaded onto your device before you leave.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your data is switched off then I wouldn't imagine you would be charged for GPS. I don't think GPS passes anything other than a signal over the cellular network (to better determine where you are).

Just make sure you have the necessary maps downloaded onto your device before you leave.

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for that
Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I use an app on my Android tablet called NavFree, which dowloads maps to the tablet's memory and solely uses GPS. I don't even have the sim card in the tablet and it works a treat. If you make sure your data is switched off, then the same principle should apply if you're using TomTom maps on your phone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Maps with me Pro.

No need for a data connection, just uses the GPS.

I've downloaded the maps via wifi & stored them in the memory card.

Message 5 of 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

GPS doesn't use the mobile network at all, it's a direct signal from the GPS satellite to your phone, so you cannot be charged for it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 6