Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

continuing roaming issues

T-Bone
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Getting a bit desperate on things to try...so fingers crossed...

I've not yet found these symptoms mentioned elsewhere - so here goes. The short version is that, I have virtually no service whilst roaming in Europe (not tried further afield for a long time). At best I can very briefly get some data, but can never send/recieve SMS or make calls (if relevant it's a Galaxy S9).

I've had this issue in various countries in Europe always the same issue/symptoms (at least France, Ireland, Spain, Finland). At the same time (and the same locations) - my wife (also an O2 customer) has absolutely no problems at all.

From various forum posts/articles elsewhere I've tried a few suggestions.

If I manually setup a new APN with settings found online - then I can manually search for a network. Maybe 1 in 5 times I can connect to a network (the rest of the time it responds with "failed to register").

If it connects, then I will have a short period of mobile data use (at most approximately 2 minutes) before it appears to drop the connection again. However, even during that time I am unable to make call or send/receieve text messages.

Resetting the network settings leaves me with the standard mobile.o2.co.uk Pay Monthly APN which never allows network registration so can't do anything. So I have to manually add a duplicate. The default one works absolutely fine when in the UK (as does the manually created duplicate).

Choosing to automatically find a network never results in a successfull connection.

I've tried a few times with cust serv/tech help but they've only suggested the obvious stuff (and frankly after repeating myself for the 3rd time and then getting disconnected from the chat whilst waiting for a response - I've not got enough stamina to sit through that again). I'm lead to believe that my account has no blocks/issues/services disabled that should prevent this from working.

Has anyone heard of similar symptoms or have some new ideas to try? I'm off to Malta in a few weeks so can try roaming again - if it still can't be resolved then I feel a little like my hand is forced into trying a different provider (last resort having been broadly happy with O2 for many years and could do without the hassle of changing).

Cheers

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks for that @MI5  thumbsup...oh and I agree..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93192 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions