Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Why is O2 top up data so expensive?

Occasionally I need to top up my data as it runs out when I'm away from home. I find the pricing absolutely ridiculous. The incraments make no sense.
100mb - £3!!
500mb - £6!!
Is everyone happy to pay this?
How can a 1gig monthly bolt on cost £5 but a once off 500mb costs £6.
Just gets my back up being forced to pay this stupid money.
Topics: 533
Solutions: 11,467

Re: Why is O2 top up data so expensive?

Simple answer is don't pay it.
It's prob cheaper to increase your tariff than pay the ridiculous bolt on prices.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)
Topics: 548
Solutions: 3,428

It would seem you are on the wrong tariff for your needs. Buying extra data is not cost effective though very profitable for the networks. 

Level 25: Hard Hitter

Also buying a one off bundle isn't a fixed income for O2 @Anonymous, but if you increase your tariff O2 can pretty much bank on a continuous stream of income from u. By making one offs more expensive they're encouraging you to commit to a higher tariff, which is good for the business although obvs annoying for customers at times.
Level 1: Joiner

Being on universal credit puts bolt ons out of reach, also to up my tariff to 1GB is too expensive at over £20. Come on O2, have a heart