cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is O2 top up data so expensive?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Occasionally I need to top up my data as it runs out when I'm away from home. I find the pricing absolutely ridiculous. The incraments make no sense.
100mb - £3!!
500mb - £6!!
Is everyone happy to pay this?
How can a 1gig monthly bolt on cost £5 but a once off 500mb costs £6.
Just gets my back up being forced to pay this stupid money.
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It would seem you are on the wrong tariff for your needs. Buying extra data is not cost effective though very profitable for the networks. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Simple answer is don't pay it.
It's prob cheaper to increase your tariff than pay the ridiculous bolt on prices.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It would seem you are on the wrong tariff for your needs. Buying extra data is not cost effective though very profitable for the networks. 

Message 3 of 7

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Also buying a one off bundle isn't a fixed income for O2 @Anonymous, but if you increase your tariff O2 can pretty much bank on a continuous stream of income from u. By making one offs more expensive they're encouraging you to commit to a higher tariff, which is good for the business although obvs annoying for customers at times.
Message 4 of 7

mdoswell49
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Being on universal credit puts bolt ons out of reach, also to up my tariff to 1GB is too expensive at over £20. Come on O2, have a heart
Message 5 of 7

MrT2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

best to move to ee......o2 is a rip off....

Message 6 of 7

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6266 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

@MrT2 Seeing the last post in this thread was five years ago, I'm not sure the posters will still be around to take your advice.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 7