cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when your data allowance runs out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

On my previous network, when my data allowance finished, I would still be able to use the internet, but at a reduced speed, and certain apps were blocked, e.g. YouTube. However, with O2, once I use up my allowance, I cannot access the internet at all (except O2 sites), and I must buy a bolt on. I've previously read that O2 only reduce the internet speeds (20kbps?) once the allowance is depleted but that hasn't happened with me unfortunately. It is quite frustrating because I can't even receive emails, or whatsapp messages after my allowance finishes.

Is it really the case that O2 doesn't allow me access to the internet once my allowance is depleted until I buy a bolt on?

I've really come to regret moving to O2 unfortnately because although customer service is great, reception indoors (in central London) is very poor as I constantly miss calls, and receive texts hours late. TuGo hasn't been of much help either, and to add to that this recent discovery about not reducing internet speeds when the allowance finishes, and forcing me to buy a bolt on really isn't pleasant.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Yes, data is cut off completely unless a bolt on is purchased now.
Think about upgrading your tariff if you run out regularly.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Yes, data is cut off completely unless a bolt on is purchased now.
Think about upgrading your tariff if you run out regularly.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you already have all the right info on how currently O2 runs their contracts.
Message 3 of 6

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 did until recently slow down data once your allowance was used up. It was almost unusable but they have now in their wisdom stopped data altogether.

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it's quite fair really you have an allowance and that's that once it's used it's used there are data bolt ons available
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you considered using wifi as much á possible in order to avoid running out of data each month? There are many free services.
Message 6 of 6