Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail PIN reverts to default

DaveL35
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This issue has been raised in the past, but as far as I can tell, nobody has been able to get a meaningful answer.

If you don't use voicemail for a while the secure PIN you have set up will revert to the default, and you lose your PIN protection.

I've contacted O2 twice today to try to get a resolution. On live chat, the advisor told me that it will revert after a time. When I asked how long, I was told it's in the phone settings, not in the O2 systems. This is clearly nonsense.

I contacted customer service on 202 and was told that the system is set up to revert to default "after a while" but the advisor was unable to tell me exactly (or even roughly) how long this while is. The best part was the explanation that it is "for security reasons".

Can anyone suggest a way to get someone who might understand the issue to listen and to accept that there is a problem and a security exposure here.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

@perksie wrote:

@Anonymous for confirming this @Toby, but isn't it time this "feature" was updated to stop this from happening?

I will definitely feed your thoughts to the team. How would you change it if I may ask? The more info I have to report back with, the better slight_smile

It's very simple really, when people set a pin on their voicemail, they expect it to remain set permanently.

Right now there is no way of knowing whether your pin has been reset or not, if you don't use it regularly.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 21 of 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

It shouldn't change, simple as that. When I set a pin on my debit or credit cards I don't expect that to revert back to default if I don't use it for a while.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 38

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Good point.
It's your pin, why the need to reduce security by going to a well known default.
Message 23 of 38

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I'll pass these thoughts on guys. If any potential changes occur, I shall let you all know.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 24 of 38

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
I'll pass these thoughts on guys. If any potential changes occur, I shall let you all know.

Excellent stuff

Message 25 of 38

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Once a pin is set it should remain so until a number is discontinued and reclaimed. I rarely use voicemail but each time I do I have to reset the default. How do you think all the phone hacking was done? Everyone knew the default!

Crazy limit of 60 days!

Message 26 of 38

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Once a pin is set it should remain so until a number is discontinued and reclaimed. I rarely use voicemail but each time I do I have to reset the default. How do you think all the phone hacking was done? Everyone knew the default!

Crazy limit of 60 days!

It wouldn't be so bad but up until this thread we have never been told of the 60 day limit. slight_frown

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 27 of 38

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Do you know if anything is going to happen with this?  I know this article is dated 2015.  But its 2018 now and this is still an issue for me at least and it is very annoying.

Message 29 of 38

MI5
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Nothing’s changed at all.
It still reverts to default if not used.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 38