cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,Ill be visiting Dubai,Thailand and Cambodia In January.I'm on a monthly contract with unlimited texts,300mins of calls and a set amount of data.Will my phone still work this far from.home.Only want to use It for texting whilst I'm away.Also don't want to incur any crazy charges that I may be unaware of.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Obviously the individual would have to factor in costs, expected usage and hassle factor in obtaining a sim in every country, topping it up, giving out the number everytime etc......
Once the sim is purchased it can be used forever, whenever you travel, so long term may work out cheaper and more convenient.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

visit here http://www.o2.co.uk/support/internationalandtravel to see the costs for each of the countries you are visiting.

You will be charged for every call in / out , data any  and sent sms (only free sms to receive)

Depending on your phone you could use tugo to connect over wifi to make and receive and send sms for free up to allowance.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could unlock your phone and use a local SIM card.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Free to contract customers and £15 to payg.... T&C apply for payg

Unlock request form. https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A "world sim" http://www.worldsim.com/ would be better for you as you would only need one instead of three and you could get it setup before you leave and give just one additional number to your family & friends.... I doubt they'd be able to keep up with you switching between 3 or 4 different sim cards wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
We'll you learn something new everyday !

Thank you MI5.

Message 6 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

so the sim costs £29.99 plus p&p with £10 call credit but the op would only save 2p per sms sent  cheaper surley to use the o2 sim at 40p a message. as the op has said mainly sms

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Obviously the individual would have to factor in costs, expected usage and hassle factor in obtaining a sim in every country, topping it up, giving out the number everytime etc......
Once the sim is purchased it can be used forever, whenever you travel, so long term may work out cheaper and more convenient.....?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8