Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone abroad

Oldyin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was recently on a cruise from Bristol to Norway. On the first day I used data to send WhatsApp messages and photos and also used maps to track where we where. I have been charged £40 for that, although I wasn’t charged after that for using internet etc.  Does anyone know why that would be. I have loads of data, so did not go over allowance. We were sailing up the Irish Sea and past the west coast and north of Scotland. It says on bill that country is ‘ISL’, but not charged for same on rest of cruise. 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You are charged at the rate applicable to the charges imposed by the cruise ships owners.
Help guide here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/ba-p/1058892
The charges stopped at £40 because there is a £40 cap on charges per billing cycle.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You are charged at the rate applicable to the charges imposed by the cruise ships owners.
Help guide here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/ba-p/1058892
The charges stopped at £40 because there is a £40 cap on charges per billing cycle.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

See Darren's helpful guide here - most likely that's a satellite charge.

Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Using a phone on a cruise ship always leads to the maximum charge. If you have  a bill for £40 at least that was capped. 

Have you spoken to customer service on 202? A sympathetic adviser may refund the charges or make a goodwill gesture by reducing them. 

I think a written complaint may well be futile as the charges have been legitimately incurred 

Message 4 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@Oldyin Did the cruise ship not post any information about internet or WiFi charges?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 7

Oldyin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your replies. It was on the documentation that came from the cruise company about charges for using their nternet connection. I did’nt realise I was as at that time. I suppose I should be grateful it was capped. 

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We hear some horror stories of high billing so yes, you were fortunate in this instance.
All the best mate.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7