Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Level 1: Joiner
Accepted Solution

Using phone abroad

I was recently on a cruise from Bristol to Norway. On the first day I used data to send WhatsApp messages and photos and also used maps to track where we where. I have been charged £40 for that, although I wasn’t charged after that for using internet etc.  Does anyone know why that would be. I have loads of data, so did not go over allowance. We were sailing up the Irish Sea and past the west coast and north of Scotland. It says on bill that country is ‘ISL’, but not charged for same on rest of cruise. 

Highlighted
Topics: 552
Solutions: 13,505

Re: Using phone abroad

You are charged at the rate applicable to the charges imposed by the cruise ships owners.
Help guide here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/ba-p/1058892
The charges stopped at £40 because there is a £40 cap on charges per billing cycle.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

See Darren's helpful guide here - most likely that's a satellite charge.

Highlighted
Topics: 573
Solutions: 3,881

Using a phone on a cruise ship always leads to the maximum charge. If you have  a bill for £40 at least that was capped. 

Have you spoken to customer service on 202? A sympathetic adviser may refund the charges or make a goodwill gesture by reducing them. 

I think a written complaint may well be futile as the charges have been legitimately incurred 

Highlighted
Level 68: Extraordinaire

@Oldyin Did the cruise ship not post any information about internet or WiFi charges?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Highlighted
Level 1: Joiner

Thanks for your replies. It was on the documentation that came from the cruise company about charges for using their nternet connection. I did’nt realise I was as at that time. I suppose I should be grateful it was capped. 

Highlighted
Topics: 552
Solutions: 13,505

We hear some horror stories of high billing so yes, you were fortunate in this instance.
All the best mate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)