cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my contract in Australia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

I am moving to Australia in a month and I am only a few months into a 24 month contract. I desperately need to get out of my contract or find a reasonable way to use my phone in Aus... what are my best options? Buying out my contract is not an option ... i pay nearly 50 quid a month including insurance!

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

That's a lot to pay each month if you aren't using the allowance. Roaming calls and texts are expensive in Australia as you are probably aware. The only options I can suggest are

1. See if a family member can take over the contract although you will still be responsible for the bills.

2. Sell the phone and put the proceeds towards paying off the contract.

3. Use the TuGo app in Australia on wifi only so that calls and texts back to the UK come out of your allowance.

There are no ways to get out of your contract unfortunately without paying off in full. I'm presuming that moving to Australia wasn't on the horizon when taking out the contract?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

That's a lot to pay each month if you aren't using the allowance. Roaming calls and texts are expensive in Australia as you are probably aware. The only options I can suggest are

1. See if a family member can take over the contract although you will still be responsible for the bills.

2. Sell the phone and put the proceeds towards paying off the contract.

3. Use the TuGo app in Australia on wifi only so that calls and texts back to the UK come out of your allowance.

There are no ways to get out of your contract unfortunately without paying off in full. I'm presuming that moving to Australia wasn't on the horizon when taking out the contract?

Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

As well as the options that Jonsie has given you, you can also cancel your insurance to lessen the monthly charges, but the contract will have to run for the full term or be paid off.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

No Australia was not on the Horizon when I took the contract out. 

Can you explain more about the TuGo app please? Ive never heard of it!

Thank you 

Message 5 of 8

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Depending on which phone you have, you can use the TuGo app to make calls and send texts using a WiFi connection and it will use the texts and minutes you have paid for on your tariff.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

That would only be for calls and texts back to the UK though, it wouldn't work for local calls as they would still be classed as outside of your allowances.

Message 7 of 8

Bambino
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Ah, yes. Forgot about that. Smiley Frustrated

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 8