cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my O2 phone in USA

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm off to the US for three weeks later this year. Am I right in thinking that if I want to check maps, texts, etc on my phone that it will cost me £4.99 each day? That's almost £105 for the trip. Am I reading the O2 Travel blurb correctly?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Yes, O2 travel costs £4.99 a day in the USA.
You can use Tu over wifi but you would be restricted to calls and texts only (no data) but what most people off here do is get a T Mobile PAYG sim when in America and use that for data and Tu for calls and texts back to UK over wifi.
You can install Tu and then remove your O2 sim and insert the American T Mobile sim.

http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Yes, O2 travel costs £4.99 a day in the USA.
You can use Tu over wifi but you would be restricted to calls and texts only (no data) but what most people off here do is get a T Mobile PAYG sim when in America and use that for data and Tu for calls and texts back to UK over wifi.
You can install Tu and then remove your O2 sim and insert the American T Mobile sim.

http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for that! I'd never heard of Tu before but that combined with an American PAYG sim looks like a great solution.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Enjoy your trip slight_smile
Just remember to only use Tu to call and text UK, not any US numbers.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

RosyMK
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What is Tu? 

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics