cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a mobile on a cruise liner

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am due to go on a carribean cruise shortly with P&O and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of costs of using a mobile and what the best way of communicating with home is.

thanks

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Extortionate prices !ships.PNG

Find out how much your cruise company charges for wifi usage and if reasonable use wifi only.

Apps such as whatsapp, Tugo, Facebook messenger etc can be used over wifi with no additional costs and I would strongly recommend you keep your phone on airplane mode with just wifi enabled to avoid any risk of your phone connecting to the ships network.

When near land, you can manually select a local network and maybe make use of O2 travel if available where you are:

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Extortionate prices !ships.PNG

Find out how much your cruise company charges for wifi usage and if reasonable use wifi only.

Apps such as whatsapp, Tugo, Facebook messenger etc can be used over wifi with no additional costs and I would strongly recommend you keep your phone on airplane mode with just wifi enabled to avoid any risk of your phone connecting to the ships network.

When near land, you can manually select a local network and maybe make use of O2 travel if available where you are:

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Take the value of your average lottery win, multiply it by 3 and then stick a zero on the end, and that should cover you for basic use onboard a cruise ship! rofl 

Sorry, serious answer time, although to be far the above is not far from the mark. http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad (search for ship to see the standard rates)

Your best bet to stay in contact with home is to make use of free or low cost wifi when in port, as even wifi onboard the ship can be rather eyewatering. 

If you're not happy to pay the high rates, make sure your phone is turned off or in flight mode, with data roaming especially turned off when you are at sea, as it's quite frightening just how quickly a large bill can appear with even basic or accidental/unintended usage.

Hope you enjoy your cruise slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

My husband has always wanted to go on a cruise. He thinks I refuse as I couldn't stand the thought of being at sea...when really it's more to do with the extortionate cost of using mobile devices whilst on board..frowning2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous awesome to hear you're going on a cruise! grin Lots of good info above from our members - please do check it out and let us know if you're all good or need any additional advice?

Message 5 of 5