cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a USA (AT&T) iPhone 5s in the UK with an O2 SIM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm from the UK and a long-time O2 customer. I'm now living in the USA and have just bought an iPhone 5s on an AT&T contract.

I wanted to keep my UK mobile number alive while I was away (I've had it since it was 0831!) so I've been paying £10/month on the lowest monthly plan and left the SIM sitting in a drawer. It's a micro-SIM for an iPhone 4.

I'm visiting the UK in a couple of weeks and would like to know if I can I get a replacement nano-SIM from O2 and use it in my 5s with my UK number?

Of course I'll have to confirm with AT&T that the phone will accept a UK O2 SIM but I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Moot point - AT&T won't unlock my phone until the end of the contract.

Looks like I'll be carrying two phones around with me for two weeks slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Moot point - AT&T won't unlock my phone until the end of the contract.

Looks like I'll be carrying two phones around with me for two weeks slight_smile
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
To answer your first post you can visit any O2 high street shop and ask them to perform a simswap which moves your mobile number and tariff from your original sim to a new account specific blank nano sim or you could contact CS and have one posted to your uk address and perform the swap yourself via an online form.

Both options can take up to 24 hours to settle but is typically faster.
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems the American Networks are still sometimes being difficult in some circumstances with unlocking then.

😞
Message 4 of 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

1 The uk sim there is no need to keep paying £10 a month, go on to the unlimited payg tariff top up every 999 days or when credit is used ( if you have a uk bank acount still, setup auto topup when credit drops below a threashold you set)

2 you must use the sim to make a chargeable call / sms every 6 months to keep the number active and stop it being reclaimed. (on payg)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is say be careful relying on auto top up as we have had people post that it has occasionally glitches. 😞
Message 6 of 10

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23558 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

What adamtemp64 has suggested is your best bet. As you won't be able to use your iPhone in the UK, and you want to use your O2 sim while you're here, pick up an inexpensive sim free phone on Amazon and use that in the UK on Pay & Go. No sense in shelling out £120 a year for a contract you're not using. If you don't have a UK bank account you can probably do the sim swap to Pay & Go in an O2 store.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for the PAYG advice. I'll switch to that when I get back to the US after my trip.

And I'll be sure to manually check the top-ups and send an occasional SMS to keep the number alive slight_smile

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Happy days as far as that then.

Shame the American network won't unlock the phone yet. 😞
Message 9 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147156 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28297 Solutions
USA networks have managed to get legislation passed to make it illegal to unlock a phone until out of contract....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 10