cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using WiFi in Thailand

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey slight_smile

Was wondering if anyone could help me. Im travelling to Thailand on friday and want to avoid any charges for texts and calls so aim so use the hotels wifi. However will i get charged for this? Thankssssss tongue xx

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah i have told them im travelling, the woman told me how it was 50p connection charge then i could be on the phone for up to an hour for that 50p. she also told me it would cost me a max of £1.99 for internet data per day. but im sure thats just for europe?! :s 

im sure she didnt understand that Thailand wasnt in europe haha x

Yes, you're right Kayla, those charges for calls and internet use you mentioned is under O2 Travel, and this only applies in Europe.

Below is the correct charges for when you are using your pay monthly phone in Thailand to call/text to the UK, or use your data (3G)

Making calls£1.50 per minute
Receiving calls£1.25 per minute
Sending texts40p per text message

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6*

To avoid a shock bill, I would seriously recommend switching Data Roaming on your phone to OFF (if you have a smartphone) so that you don't incur data charges when your apps may update without you knowingly using the internet on your phone, and just stick to wifi but check with the hotel first if there are any charges for using their wifi connection.

But, most importantly, have a great time! slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

You would need to speak to the Hotel and see if they charge you.

O2 have nothing to do with wifi as wifi that you connect to is up to you.

Have a great time in Thailand tho

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ok so i would just have to pay the hotel if they have any charges?

thank you slight_smile x

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will not get charged for Wifi but remember to switch of Data roaming whilst away as your phone will use data in the background. 

Switch off your Voicemail as well as recieving a voicemail and listening to it is super expensive. 

Use Whatsapp or skype on wifi to contact home or other people. 

Have you told o2 your are travelling?

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah i have told them im travelling, the woman told me how it was 50p connection charge then i could be on the phone for up to an hour for that 50p. she also told me it would cost me a max of £1.99 for internet data per day. but im sure thats just for europe?! :s 

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you're right Kayla, those charges for calls and internet use you mentioned is under O2 Travel, and this only applies in Europe.

Below is the correct charges for when you are using your pay monthly phone in Thailand to call/text to the UK, or use your data (3G)

Making calls£1.50 per minute
Receiving calls£1.25 per minute
Sending texts40p per text message

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6*

To avoid a shock bill, I would seriously recommend switching Data Roaming on your phone to OFF (if you have a smartphone) so that you don't incur data charges when your apps may update without you knowingly using the internet on your phone, and just stick to wifi but check with the hotel first if there are any charges for using their wifi connection.

But, most importantly, have a great time! slight_smile

Message 6 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I am a frequent traveller to Thailand and free wifi is abundant in most places. Hotels usually provide free wifi as part of the package and they usually give you the password on request. You will find most bars also provide free wifi but you need to ask for the password which is readily provided to patrons. Make sure you turn off mobile and roaming data and you won't incur any charges. Also turn off voicemail before you go (1760).

Have a great time, fabulous place to visit.

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Also use Whatsapp for texting on wifi, save you paying for texts:smileywink:

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting thread. One word of caution: public Wifi is generally unsecure - that means hackers can easily intercept usernames, passwords, etc.

I did a bit of reading on this, and from the moneysavingexperts website it says:

Message 9 of 11

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Great advice here guys, well done

@PeterinUK: Cheers for the tips!

@Kayla23: Have a great time slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 11