cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is it cheaper to get a new contract with O2 than upgrade, with online companies its even cheaper and there not even upfront costs and there are cashbacks too. Ive been with O2 more than 15 yrs !!! 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
3rd parties get commission from networks to resell contracts and they pass on some of that commission to their customers in the way of cheaper contracts.
This works for some customers but not for others, as you won't get refresh deals or be entitled to any of the o2 discount schemes.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
3rd parties get commission from networks to resell contracts and they pass on some of that commission to their customers in the way of cheaper contracts.
This works for some customers but not for others, as you won't get refresh deals or be entitled to any of the o2 discount schemes.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I’m not mistaken, Going to an online company means you’ll have to deal with them if you have phone issues and O2 for signal issues..

Whereas going with O2 means they will deal with both..

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand the 3rd party and contract bit but the company I was looking at offer everything O2 do. The other part of my question was why is it cheaper to have a new contract with O2 than upgrade, don't you think they should be rewarding their `already` customers?

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
No 3rd parties offer refresh or o2 open discounts.
You also won't be eligible for additional line discounts unless you contract with o2 directly.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

They should without doubt be rewarding existing customers for their loyalty when they renew contracts. O2 say they operate a fair deal for all policy meaning new customers and existing customers are treated the same. That just isn't true. New customers get incentives to join O2 and loyal existing customers have to look elsewhere for better prices and deals. 

I see no point in staying with a network that cares nothing for customers having removed three apps that benefitted customers all in the name of money. They have alienated hundreds of thousands of existing customers by doing so but they could care less.

You get all the benefits(?) Of being with O2, apart from Refresh and probably wifi calling. Other than that they are under obligation for all your contractual needs.

Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

And unlike other 'utility companies' you are rarely able to haggle for a discount.

Threaten to leave BT, Sky, Virgin et al...you are invariably offered an incentive to stay. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mobiles direct offer all the benefits, the contract is still with O2.
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Mobiles direct offer all the benefits, the contract is still with O2.

Unfortunately they don't, as I've said already.

You may also miss out on wifi calling, depending on which phone you choose, but if the missing benefits are of no use to you, then go for the cheapest deal. Why wouldn't you ?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9