Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Texts on 4G PAYG Tariff

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

## This post is not for a problem which I need advice for - it is a suggestion for you ##

I moved from the 3G pay and go go go tariff to the 4G pay and go go go tariff.  The tariff has 4 tiers and it starts at 75 minutes, 500 texts and 500MB of data.

According to the O2 website, if you are already an O2 customer (for over 3 months) then you automatically go to the 2nd tier which consists 150 minutes, 1000 texts and 1GB of data.

4G PAYG Tariff

I was put on to the 2nd tier on my anniversary date.  I am a big texter and after a few days I found that my texts were going down very quickly.  My previous 3G tariff had unlimited texts so I didn't need to keep checking to see how many I had left.

I contacted O2 after a week of being on the 4G tariff as I had used quite a lot of the 1000 texts that I was given.  I told the O2 advisor that I used to have unlimited texts and that I text a lot and I asked if there was a bolt on that I could put onto my account for texts.  After checking my account the O2 advisor said that as I had been with O2 for a long time, my texts would go from 1000 to unlimited on the next anniversary date.  I am happy about this as I do not have to pay any extra and I am on the 4th tier of the tariffs.

My nan always says to me "You don't get nothing if you don't ask" and in this instance it paid off so you can try the same and you may endup increasing your text allowance and not paying more.  If I did not speak to O2 about it then I would of had to wait another 3 months.

I love having unlimited texts.  The last few days of my 1000 texts tariff consisted of me abbreviating all of my texts to minimise the texts that are used and I had less than 10 left on my final day.  It is a pain having to check my account every few days to see how many texts I have left.  I am a grammer fanatic and I hate people who text talk and abbreviate every word so I am glad that I can text in proper English again.  Crazy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I moved like you from pay as you go go go to the 4g equivalent and moved to the 2nd tier for 4g and my minutes and texts change on my anniversary date.

O2 don't offer true unlimited tho. It is capped which has been discussed before on the forum.

I'm happy as I'm not a big texter like you and wanted 4g
Message 2 of 6

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I know it is capped @bandofbrothers but I think it is capped at about 2000 so it's double what I had.

By the way, how are you finding 4G? I was wary that it may eat up my data but I am finding that my data is going down slow and it is the same if not better than 3G.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

A recent thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Unlimited-texts/m-p/404038/highlight/true#M39161

I'm finding 4g awesome.

I'm lucky enough to live in a 4g city and get around 32.8mbps download and 17mbps upload.

How's yours ?

As I understand it 4g does not use your data allowance any faster than 3G it's just that your online more as you can do things faster !
Message 4 of 6

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi.
As I understand it 4g does not use your data allowance any faster than 3G it's just that your online more as you can do things faster !

That's my understanding as well. If your internet usage is the same 4G just loads content faster.

Are you getting many drops down to Edge or GPRS? I still am travelling in and around London for work, frustrating if streaming content.Smiley Frustrated

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi aldaweb,

There are some fringe areas for 4G but I'm normally only affected when commuting to and from work, which has more to do with switching between cells quickly, and the metal of the bus etc.

When we visit my sister in law I do drop down to 3G.

I rarely see gprs on my iPhone which I'm not gloating about, but instead feel lucky. 

I'm also fortunate to enjoy City Centre wide Wi-Fi.

Message 6 of 6